cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Af assit beam works but Flash wont fire

jzeile
Apprentice

Hi, I have a 6d mk II and a 430 ex ii. When I use the flash the af assit beam will work but the flash won't fire. I put the 430 ex ii on my 5d mk iii and it works fine. What do I do?

9 REPLIES 9

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Reset the 6D Mk II to factory default and try the flash again.

Mike Sowsun

Did that but no luck. also the flash says its on TTL rather than ETTL? Idk maybe that could make a difference?

TTL is the problem. It must always say ETTL or Manual mode. That usually means poor electrical contact in the hot shoe. Have a look at the contacts on both the flash and the camera and clean them. Also make sure the flash is seating properly in the hotshoe.

Mike Sowsun

I suppose that makes sense as the hotshoe came off and I tried glueing it back on. Is there anyway to tell if the actual sensor still works and I just need a new metal hotshoe bracket? Is the fact that the AF beam works good enough to know that the actual metal senor is still ok?

@jzeile wrote:

I suppose that makes sense as the hotshoe came off and I tried glueing it back on. Is there anyway to tell if the actual sensor still works and I just need a new metal hotshoe bracket? Is the fact that the AF beam works good enough to know that the actual metal senor is still ok?

Yikes!  I think you may have just nailed the problem.  Contact Canon Support to get that repaired.  You can expect them to replace the entire top assembly of the camera, from the mode button to the top LCD screen, end to end.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That seems pretty exsive for just a broken hot shoe

@jzeile wrote:

That seems pretty exsive for just a broken hot shoe

When you consider the cost of the labor time it takes to remove the top assembly, troubleshoot the electronics, replace the bad part(s), re-assemble the top assembly, and then reinstall it on the camera.....simply replacing the entire assembly is FAR less costly.

Furthermore, the cost to maintain an inventory of thousands of small parts is cost prohibitive compared to maintaining an inventory of sub-assemblies.  Many automobile repairs are made using this same approach.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are 6 connections in the hotshoe and you must have at least one broken connection. The 6D Mk II top cover is at least $200 plus the labor to install it.  If you want to save money, try and find an independent shop who can attempt to repair it. 

_001a.jpg

_001.jpg

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

There are 6 connections in the hotshoe and you must have at least one broken connection. The 6D Mk II top cover is at least $200 plus the labor to install it.  If you want to save money, try and find an independent shop who can attempt to repair it. 

_001a.jpg

_001.jpg

Or to put it in simplesr terms: If the hot shoe "came off", gluing it back on is not a solution.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements