cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80 D wireless settings

sxs9825
Contributor
In menu, under flash control, I got to Wireless func.

There are 4 choices. Im not sure what they mean.
Disable. ok

Looks like the next gives an option of power difference between external and on camera flash.

The next is not having the on camera flash at all and setting a ratio between 2 externals.

The last has all external the same with ability to change the on camera.

IF I want to connect an external speedlite and not have the on camera fire, how do I set this up wirelessly?

Can a 430 EX be set up?

How do I choose a channel?

Does my on camera flash need to be disabled but also popped up?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Crowbar
Apprentice

Hello,

A 430 EX can be set up off camera and fired remotely, however you will need the pop up flash on your EOS 80D to control this. The 430 EX flash does not use the RT or radio trigger system to fire the flash, instead the flash on the EOS 80D will be the controller to let your 430 EX know when to fire.

For a detailed guide on this you can refrence the manual of the 430 EX Speedlite on page 23 which will show menu options and diagrams on how you should se the camera and flash up.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-flashes/speedlite-...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sxs9825
Contributor
I got the 430 ex to flash, but I could not figure out how to get it flash without the pop up one also going off.

@sxs9825 wrote:
I got the 430 ex to flash, but I could not figure out how to get it flash without the pop up one also going off.

You may be seeing a pre-flash that may be what makes the 430 EX fire at all. Generally speaking, a Canon flash without "RT" in its name needs an optical signal in order to fire remotely. And if what you're seeing is a pre-flash, it won't affect the picture (unless, possibly, if makes the subject blink).

You seem to be asking questions that ought to be answered, to at least some degree of detail, by the user manual (either that of the flash, that of the camera, or both). Are you sure you've given the manuals the attention that they deserve?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Crowbar
Apprentice

Hello,

A 430 EX can be set up off camera and fired remotely, however you will need the pop up flash on your EOS 80D to control this. The 430 EX flash does not use the RT or radio trigger system to fire the flash, instead the flash on the EOS 80D will be the controller to let your 430 EX know when to fire.

For a detailed guide on this you can refrence the manual of the 430 EX Speedlite on page 23 which will show menu options and diagrams on how you should se the camera and flash up.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/support-flashes/speedlite-...

sxs9825
Contributor
Yes, I looked at the manual.
Very little in it concerning this topic that I found.
Mainly had stuff on the pop up alone.
Unless I overlooked something.

Which manual, there are usually 2, an abbreviated one and a full one.

sxs9825
Contributor
Ok.

There are 2 sources sent by the 80D for triggering the flash. My 430 EX needs the optical which can only be done with the on camera flash going off.

Thanks for the info!

sxs9825
Contributor
I was looking through the one that came with my camera.

Didn't know there were two. That's good to know!

The other one is PDF only, you can get it on the Canon support site.

Try here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300022454/03/eos80d-im3-en.pdf

Note that the one in the box says "basic instruction manual"

Announcements