cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600ex-rt slave flashes randomly stop firing - please help!

PhotoMouse
Apprentice

I've scoured the interent trying to find a solution for the problem I'vve been having and I can't find any posts where people are having the exact problem I am. I'm hoping maybe someone on here has had this problem and might be able to propose a solution. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have 4 Speedlite 600EX-RTs I've been using for about the last 2 years with very few issues until recently. When shooting events I typically use two on cameras (5d Mark III's) and two as slave flashes for room lights. Everything will be working fine and then at some point I look down and realize my room flashes are not firing.  The on camera flash will work and the link light will still be green but the slave flashes won't fire until I power off the master flash, then they will start working again for a while until they randomly stop firing. Usually during something important like a speech or the hora.

Just for clarifcation, the ID #'s are all set the same, I keep them all on auto channel, I'm using newish eneloop batteries and I feel like the problem starts too early in the day for it to be battery related. 99% of the time I am on manual across the board and my power on the slave flashes is never more than 1/32 or so.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14

marco9394
Apprentice

Unfortunaly I'm on the same boat. I use a 5d4 with a 600ex-rt and 6D with ST-E3-RT, 2x 600ex-rt as slaves. I run channel scanning and select the best channel at the site everytime. Sometimes they would work an entire wedding without a problem but sometime I would set them up at the reception and they would work for a few series of firing then stop working completely on both cameras. Usually is right after taking a few mins break, they wont fire at all until I cycle the masters on/off. I do noticed it happened more often with one particular DJ who has multiple wireless systems running at the same time like mics & LEDs. 

It is so frustrating and makes me thinking about other system that would do better with interference. 

Pranabyjonesie
Apprentice
This absolutely happens to me quite often during an important shoot. Sometimes when it starts working again there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I thought maybe it was the zoom setting but yesterday that didn’t help. I had to forgo using the flashes and it was very disappointing. New batteries. Same manual channel. Same wireless. Green light, but won’t trigger. Tried camera in manual or AV mode. Nothing. Manual trigger works. I hope we find help! I’ve also looked all over the web and watch the same tutorials on how to “easily” set up - and I get it, but something is wrong here.

Canon's wireless flash control operates on 2.4 Ghz. which is a VERY heavily used part of the RF spectrum.  Although the IEEE provides more detail about the spectrum, Wikipedia is sufficient to provide an idea of the level of pollution and crowding in this part of the spectrum:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

Unfortunately this is a problem for many devices and it is one of those undesired side-effects of using political appointees instead of scientists and engineers in the various world regulatory agencies.  Courtesy of a new garage door opener I now have to drive my Cadillac ATS a few hundred feet down the driveway so that the TPMS system will properly reset when I change between summer and winter wheel/tire sets because of co-interference between the door opener and tire pressure monitoring system.  It is a problem that has continued to get worse instead of better especially because it is coupled with a rapid increase in the number of unintentional RF radiators (i.e. switching power supplies, digital controllers, etc) which produce RF pollution as a byproduct of their normal operation.  In addition to specific interference between two devices operating on exactly the same frequency there is the more general problem that the sensitivity of receiving devices is reduced by the number of transmitting devices in the same general location and frequency range.  And while your flash is frequency hopping to try and find a clear spot other devices are doing the same so results during a single event are likely to be somewhat random as a formerly clear spot is suddenly being shared with other devices that have chosen your frequency as a possible solution.

Wireless flash control is so time critical that typical measures used to handle communications interference (like multiple retries) are unworkable.  At this point for a critical event I wouldn't count on a wireless flash system being practical unless you have a chance to pretest in that location under the exact conditions that you will shoot and that isn't practical for a wedding reception or similar event where entertainment AND guests are likely to bring in stuff that creates a problem.  Think of how many guests are carrying around Bluetooth enabled devices which are operating on the same slice of spectrum as your wireless flash.  The old infrared system was limited and also experienced some interference but it may well be more reliable in many venues than the more modern RF system.

You can improve your chances of success by locating the controller and slaves as close together as possible.  The smart controllers in most wireless devices will transmit at their maximum design power but this will drop as battery voltage drops so it will also help to keep the voltage supply to the various components as close to maximum charge as possible.  Fresh batteries to start and changing during an event can help make the system more robust.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

nuzeman
Apprentice

I'm shooting with a Canon 5d mark IV. I've never had an issue before until today. I have 2 600ex-rt II's.  I have a St-e3 transmiter as a master. Green sync lights on all devices. I'm outside on my deck. I've tried changing the channel to auto, and other channels, even changed the ID a few times.  I've done ETTL and manuel.  All work fine for a few minutes then I get the red unsynce light on the units.  If I trun off the St-E3 and both speedlights soemtimes it resets and I can start firing again..then it happens all over again.  There is a lot of neighbors close in all directions. I wonder if there is something interefereing? I had this setup for 4 years and never experienced this.  Any new information would be most helpful 

Thanks

Jon 

@nuzeman wrote:

I'm shooting with a Canon 5d mark IV. I've never had an issue before until today. I have 2 600ex-rt II's.  I have a St-e3 transmiter as a master. Green sync lights on all devices. I'm outside on my deck. I've tried changing the channel to auto, and other channels, even changed the ID a few times.  I've done ETTL and manuel.  All work fine for a few minutes then I get the red unsynce light on the units.  If I trun off the St-E3 and both speedlights soemtimes it resets and I can start firing again..then it happens all over again.  There is a lot of neighbors close in all directions. I wonder if there is something interefereing? I had this setup for 4 years and never experienced this.  Any new information would be most helpful 

Thanks

Jon 

If you think it might be RF interference, have you tried a different channel? (I'm assuming, without having time to actually look it up, that the 600ex-rt is capable of operating on more than one channel.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements