cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600EX-RT speedlite won't read batteries

cfontenot
Apprentice

I'm on my 2nd brand new out of the box speedlite.  I have tried several different brand AA batteries & I am getting the no battery icon on my screen.  So freaking frustrated.  Any advice on what to do?

9 REPLIES 9

Skirball
Authority

Are you using alkaline or rechargeables?  There has been a documented issue with the 600's having issues with rechargeables; it even contraindicates them in the manual.  That said, the issue isn't frequently talked about, so not all of them do it - because most people use recharagebles in their flash.

The first thing I would do is check that they're oriented correctly.  I know, it seems simple enough.  But I do a lot of flash photography, and thus, I change batteries a lot.  And I can tell you that I've done this many, many times.  I don't know what it is, but those little batteries never want to slide into the right compartment (it's probably me, but I'm going to blame the batteries).

If you're using rechargeables then try a fresh set of alkalines and see if that's the issue.  If it is, i would send it back.  I suspect that some units are more sensitive to the battery than others.  But I can't say for sure, I haven't followed the issue closely since I don't have 600s.

I only use alkalines.  I have tried 4 different name brands.  This is my second flash brand new out of the box.  It has only been fired once.  The flash before this one did the very same thing.

Coincidence???

@cfontenot wrote:

I only use alkalines.  I have tried 4 different name brands.  This is my second flash brand new out of the box.  It has only been fired once.  The flash before this one did the very same thing.

Coincidence???

Not likely.  If you've tried four sets of fresh batteries in two different flashes and keep getting the same thing then it's likely user error.

Is it a dead battery indicator that shows, or is the entire screen blank?  If the latter, it'd either be the batteries in incorrectly, or the battery cover door isn't fully closed (there's a sensor on the door so when it opens it shuts off the flash - though they may have changed this to displaying a battery icon on the 600ex).

I just finished reading all the threads in this forum, looks like there is a reset function I need to do.  This might fix my problem.  

I'm waiting to hear back from Canon also.

So frustrating because I missed out on a wedding shoot & I had a class last night & I couldn't get it work either.  My instructor even tried with no luck.

Thanks for your reply.

So you checked the battery door cover?

Good luck, sorry you're having issues.  Seems like there's been a lot of odd issues with the 600ex-RT.  Shame for such a high class flash.

Forest
Apprentice

Same with mine which I just received today. Read instructions below because they cured my problem too. Keep switch on and open and close the battery cover while it is on. All of a sudden it's fixed! Viola!

Doing that fixed my battery problem! Thanks so much!

Glad to hear it.  Now that you have it working properly, go out and get yourself some Eneloops, the white ones, and a decent charger.  Make sure the package says Panasonic on it, not Sanyo, and you're sure to get the latest version.

lochinvar
Apprentice

Mystery or Miracle - 600EX-RT

Like so many others I got tired of the battery problem and bought an external battery pack (Quantum Turbo 3).

After the first time I used the battery pack the batteries in the speedlite worked without the pack and continues to do so.

Announcements