cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600EX Flash - 5D III. Flash exposure compensation.

mkg
Contributor

How can I set the FLASH exposure compensation from the CAMERA. It appears that I have to set the exposure compensation on the back of the flash unit. I would like be able to change the FLASH EC settings from the camera, not the flash unit.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I just press the Q button. FEC is a function on the quick control screen. Use the multi controller to scroll and highlight the FEC function then use the quick control dial (big dial) to set desired FEC.

The beauty of it is if you are working in a busy environment and you press Q button again the FEC function will be highlighted when the quick control screen is illuminated. The only time it won't be highlighted is if you previously selected another function. Easy to just scroll back to it.

TCampbell is correct. The FEC setting must be a zero on the flash itself for the FEC function to work on the quick control screen.

View solution in original post

While you could use the Q button, on the 5D III there is direct access to FEC -- no need to hit Q and navigate.  

The FEC button is on the top of the camera (just forward of the top LCD) and it's the button with the dimple on it (so you can "feel" the button without taking your eye away from the viewfinder when you want to adjust it - and the adjustment does display through the viewfinder.  

Just one of those little nicities you get on the 5D III to make it a bit quicker to use.  Smiley Happy

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you set the flash exposure compensation to anything OTHER than the 0 position, then use the menu on the FLASH (not on the camera) to return it to the 0 position.

Once it's at zero, the camera menu will be able to control the compensation.

Basically if you change the setting on the flash menu then it locks out the camera from making changes -- but returning it to zero let the camera regain control.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

1. 600 EX Flash. EC on the FLASH set to ZERO. ETTL A-Zoom.

2. Camera set to AV. I can control/change the CAMERA EC on the camera; however, the EC on the FLASH does NOT move.

I called Canon last week. I was told that I will have to set/change the FLASH EC from the back of the FLASH, not from the camera. That just does not seem right, but that appears to be the only way I can change the EC on the FLASH.

Appreciate your thoughts

Bob

Ok, I have my 5D III out with my 600EX-RT mounted.

Let's make sure you don't have terminology confused.

There are two different compensations... there's "explosure compensation" and "flash exposure compensation".

If you meter exposure with the camera and then use the rear dial (assuming you did not disable it) after waking up the metering system then the rear dial will change the "exposure" compensation (this changes the metering for the AMBIENT light reading that the camera reads -- ignoring the flash).  So changing "exposure compensation" will not change the flash even if the flash is powered on and connected.  It would only change the camera.

On the top of the camera, just in front of the top LCD screen, there are four buttons.  One has a dimple on it.  That button is the ISO & "flash exposure compensation" button.  If you press that button, then the rear LCD screen should show you that the rear dial will control "Flash exposure comp."    Turning the rear dial at that point will make the adjustment show initially ONLY on the camera LCD screen... UNTIL you press the 'Set' button in the middle of the dial.   Once you do that, the rear LCD screen on the flash will show that you have the flash exposure compensation enabled (it will ONLY show this when you wake up the metering system... if the metering system is allowed to go inactive the flash will only display the netural compensation... but as soon as you re-activate metering it will display your exposure compenation as set on the camera.

Also... on the rear LCD screen there's a box just below the ISO setting that shows if you have flash exposure compensation set and the amount.

This is all being controlled only by the camera -- I'm not using the menu buttons on the flash itself.  

IF I DO use the buttons on the flash to set flash exposure compensation then the camera is locked out.  It will report what compensation has been set on the flash, but will not let me change it until I use the buttons on the flash to return it to 0.

Does that help and are you able to do this with your flash?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim - I think you hit the nail on the head. I've been getting flash exposure compensation and camera exposure compensation mixed up. Pilot error! I will work on it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

BIG THANKS

Bob

I just press the Q button. FEC is a function on the quick control screen. Use the multi controller to scroll and highlight the FEC function then use the quick control dial (big dial) to set desired FEC.

The beauty of it is if you are working in a busy environment and you press Q button again the FEC function will be highlighted when the quick control screen is illuminated. The only time it won't be highlighted is if you previously selected another function. Easy to just scroll back to it.

TCampbell is correct. The FEC setting must be a zero on the flash itself for the FEC function to work on the quick control screen.

Got it. Thanks. Bob

While you could use the Q button, on the 5D III there is direct access to FEC -- no need to hit Q and navigate.  

The FEC button is on the top of the camera (just forward of the top LCD) and it's the button with the dimple on it (so you can "feel" the button without taking your eye away from the viewfinder when you want to adjust it - and the adjustment does display through the viewfinder.  

Just one of those little nicities you get on the 5D III to make it a bit quicker to use.  Smiley Happy

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I don't normally use that one because I normally adjust FEC after chimping so I just press the Q button but I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I used it the other day. I did stuggle a bit even with the dimple but you get used to these things over time . As I get older and need to use reading glasses I just stopped looking at the top LCD for anything. The less I have to put them on and take them off is better. I sorta swithced to the Q screen beacuse it was easy to see. Using that button did save a few steps.

Announcements