cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX-II question

robrow65
Apprentice

I dropped my speedlite and the hot shoe assembly broke off.  I do not want to replace it.

Is there a way I can set up the 580 manually to flash when it sees another flash such as the 430EX II?

I'm fine if this is only in full manual flash mode.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did some more experimentation with various settings today, and I learned what may impact how the in-camera flash settings are transmitted to the Speedlite via the optical connection.  I set the wireless function to the Speedlite only which resulted in the built-in pop-up flash going off anyway, but I think that action is what transmits the data because I noticed afterward that the camera's settings appeared in the Speedlite LCD.  I also ran another experiment.  I took a picture with the Speedlite "on" off camera, and of course, the built-in flash went off.  Then, I turned the Speedlite "off" and took the picture again.  The pop-up triggered, but it did not impact the picture at all.  When viewed, it was very dark with almost no light in the picture.  When I checked the Speedlite LCD, sure enough the camera settings appeared.  So, through this incredible hit-and-miss process I learned that when choosing the Speedlite only on the wireless function the built-in, pop-up still triggers but is not synchronized with the Speedlite.  "I think" that disabling the pop-up altogether is what may block the settings from transferring.  What a journey this is turning out to be.  I am awaiting the arrival of a TTL Cord which I ordered a couple of days ago, and that will change how everything is done because I will return the flash to "Master" status, and it will be run off of the External Flash menu, which will give me a wider range of options.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Easy and inexpensive to repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl5yS_kVF38

Yes, you can set the 580EX as a slave unit. See page 33 onward in your manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John-

Not what I'm asking.  I dont want it to wireless slave.  I just want it to fire if any type of flash goes off even a generic Yongnuo or the like.

The remote flash (slave) sensor for the 580EX II is in the lower part of the unit -- but that's designed to watch for a Canon E-TTL "master" trigger.  So far as I am aware it will not fire for any other type of flash.

If you wanted to fire as a basic manual flash with a 3rd party trigger, they connect to the flash via the hot-shoe foot -- and that's the part which you said is broken.

So at a minimum, if you want the flash to work as a manual flash, you would need to repair the foot. But as John pointed out, you can get the part to do that (and it's an easy fix as long as the only part that was damaged is the foot itself and lower unit of the flash isn't broken above the foot.

And as always... sending it to Canon for repair is certainly an option as well.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

http://pixsylated.com/blog/canon-speedlites-optical-slaves/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Escalante101
Enthusiast

I have made a couple of previous posts and done enough online research and run into enough brick walls to last a lifetime.  It appears that perhaps the only way to communicate on camera flash settings to an off-camera flash unit is by using a Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Canon Cameras ($47 at B&H).  I reached this conclusion by attaching the 580EX II to my Canon 80D and viewing the Flash Control / External Flash Function Setting with the Speedlite attached in the hot shoe.  I can only guess, but my assumption would be with the 580EX II set off camera on a light stand / tripod with the TTL Flash Cord attached, it could then be set as a Master to control other Speedlites optically (one can only hope).  I would have to do some more research on Master Flash settings and how that information is transmitted "optically" (not radio waves) to other slave flash units.  It goes without saying that I am disappointed that my Canon 80D will not transmit via optical communication the flash output to the 580EX II set as a slave off-camera, no wires attached.  As hard as I may try, I cannot find any meaningful information either in written form or in the form of a video tutorial which illustrates / explains the use of the 80D and Speedlite flash units together.  Found a very good one with a 7D and a 580EX II, but that is useless in this instance.  Also, maybe I am crazy, but there must be an "order of operations" to setting up the 580EX II flash.  First, turn it on.  Then make sure the Zoom says "Off".  If you want to set the Shutter Synchronization, I guess that would be the next step - the only way it can be set.  Set it for first curtain (no icon) or 2nd curtain (icon) or high-speed (icon).  Perhaps that may be a good time to set the zoom level.  Then, you can try turning it on as a slave in ETTL mode - the only mode which will show a group letter.  If you switch the mode to manual, that gets lost.  And then there are the rest of the settings which are only available if the flash is sitting in the hot shoe or set them separately on the flash.  I am having to learn all of this through trial and error because the manuals are not forthcoming and so far, no one who creates online videos seems to want to take the time and effort to explain all of this.  I am guessing that owning the 600EX II and anything "under" a 7D would place a person in an identical set of circumstances.  A quandary.

Your 80D can trigger your 580EX II to fire wirelessly off camera the same way a 7D does. 

There will be some variations to how the the menu settings are laid out, but it works basically the same way using coded light pulses from the built in flash of your 80D.

In order for the 580EX II to work as a slave, you must leave it in E-TTL mode. This is the ONLY way it can communicate with your 80D. If you want to use Manual flash, it is selected in the menu on your 80D only. 

If you select Manual mode off camera wireless flash on your 80D, it will show up on the 580EX II menu as well, but don't touch the 580EX II to make any changes. All adjustments are done on the 80D menu.   

Here are some simple steps to set up the 580EX II for wireless mode with the 80D:

1) Start with the flash in ETTL mode

2) Press and hold the Zoom button until the wireless symbol and "Off" are flashing. 

3) Rotate the wheel until "On" and "Slave" are flashing, then press "Set" 

4) You should now see CH1 and Slave A.

You are now done with the flash settings. Most other settings are to be done on the 80D only.  (you can change the zoom head and channel on the flash itself if needed)

I found an 80D wireless flash video on Youtube:

He doesn't use the 580EX II but the 80D setup will be the same.

Use it to set up the wireless flash on your 80D or just follow these steps:

Under the Wirless func, menu you have 4 choices:

1) Disable 

2) Ratio between external wireless(580EX II) and built-in 80D flash

3) External wireless(580EX II) flash only (the built-in 80D flash will operate but not contribute light to to photo)

4) External wireless(580EX II) flash AND the built-in 80D flash will operate together

I would recommend starting with 3) External wireless(580EX II) flash only, Channel 1, and Firing group ALL

You can then decide to use E-TTL or Manual mode off camera flash. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for the most helpful information.  I have been out of town for a few days, so have not been able to respond.  Another contributor lead me on a wild goose chase, and the last missive stated that he lied to me about the 80D not being able to communicate with the 580EX II.  That left me wondering if it is even worth participating on these online forums.  I will save your response for my future use.  Thank you again.

I did not purposely lie, I did not realize that the 80D could be a master. I had only read the BIM, after reading the full instruction manual I realized I was wrong.

I did some more experimentation with various settings today, and I learned what may impact how the in-camera flash settings are transmitted to the Speedlite via the optical connection.  I set the wireless function to the Speedlite only which resulted in the built-in pop-up flash going off anyway, but I think that action is what transmits the data because I noticed afterward that the camera's settings appeared in the Speedlite LCD.  I also ran another experiment.  I took a picture with the Speedlite "on" off camera, and of course, the built-in flash went off.  Then, I turned the Speedlite "off" and took the picture again.  The pop-up triggered, but it did not impact the picture at all.  When viewed, it was very dark with almost no light in the picture.  When I checked the Speedlite LCD, sure enough the camera settings appeared.  So, through this incredible hit-and-miss process I learned that when choosing the Speedlite only on the wireless function the built-in, pop-up still triggers but is not synchronized with the Speedlite.  "I think" that disabling the pop-up altogether is what may block the settings from transferring.  What a journey this is turning out to be.  I am awaiting the arrival of a TTL Cord which I ordered a couple of days ago, and that will change how everything is done because I will return the flash to "Master" status, and it will be run off of the External Flash menu, which will give me a wider range of options.

Announcements