cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

580EX II fires full power only on some flash triggers (but not on others)

icefeatherwind
Contributor
My 580EX II fires only in full power when connected to some of my Yongnuo YN622C II transponders.

I have four transponders and the 622C-TX transmitter as well. The 580 works fine, ETTL all good and exposing properly, on one of the four 622s, and when on the hotshoe of my 1100D, 400D, 700D and 7DII. But when on one of the other three 622s, the 580 will only fire full power (which generally results in a white-out over-exposure). When on these 622 the 580 is not getting info from the camera (e.g. Changing the zoom on the 622C-TX does nothing to the 580).

I have a 430EX II and it works fine, in ETTL, everything as expected, on all four of the 622 transponders. The transponders all send info to the 430 as well when they are on the hotshot of the camera.

It seems to me that there has to be something wrong with the 580. But WHAT? Given that it works fine when on a camera and works fine on ONE of the 622s but not the other three...? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

icefeatherwind
Contributor

Final update on the problem: It was the Yongnuo triggers at fault. My Godox triggers and transmitter arrived today and they work perfectly with the 580EX II as expected in ETTL (and the 430EX II works perfectly too). For some reason there is something about the YN triggers that was at fault... what, exactly, I will never know. But Godox solved the problem 🙂 Very happy!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

icefeatherwind
Contributor
For anyone who has the same problem, I couldn't solve it with the Yongnuo triggers so I returned the whole lot. I'm now waiting for Godox triggers instead. Going to try that and if that fails, I will send my 580 to Canon for service.

By the way, do you have any flash that goes off by the light of other flashes and not via the trigger(s)?  The 580EX II doesn't like that and half of the time will shoot full power.  My 580EX II does the same.  Other flashes like the 600EX don't seem to do it, just the 580EX II

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

icefeatherwind
Contributor
No, no flashes being triggered optically in this set up. When I do trigger the 580 optically with my 7DII,, it works with ETTL fine, even if I have a 480 being triggered optically too. It's weird because the 580 literally is perfect all the time except on these triggers. I really hope it's just a 580+YN glitch and that my Godox purchase is more successful :S

icefeatherwind
Contributor

Final update on the problem: It was the Yongnuo triggers at fault. My Godox triggers and transmitter arrived today and they work perfectly with the 580EX II as expected in ETTL (and the 430EX II works perfectly too). For some reason there is something about the YN triggers that was at fault... what, exactly, I will never know. But Godox solved the problem 🙂 Very happy!

Announcements