cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

470ex-AI with Rebel SL3

shantanuyousuf
Apprentice

Hi - The AI.B feature does not seem to work with the SL3. Am I doing something wrong or the 470ex-ai does not support this feature with the SL3? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shantanuyousuf
Apprentice
Thanks. I now know what I was doing wrong. I had the bounce adapter on the flash. How was I to know the AI wouldn’t work with it on 😞

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This will answer your question.  The SL3 is not supported.

https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/downloads/comparison/speedlite/canon-flash-speedlite-compatibi...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I don't see the SL3 on that list, are you sure it is up to date?  I also see that the SL2 *is* supported.

I also see that all the cameras have this note:

*3: Possible with the AI.B Full-auto distance measurement start button.

Could that be the OP's problem?

shantanuyousuf
Apprentice
Thanks for the quick response.
Have a nice day.

shantanuyousuf
Apprentice
Thanks. I now know what I was doing wrong. I had the bounce adapter on the flash. How was I to know the AI wouldn’t work with it on 😞

Thats helpful to note.

I grabbed this list from the 470's webpage.  Not sure how current or up to date it was. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Syfear
Apprentice
To confirm the Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Flash will work with a SL3 and have full functional compatibility ??

Love the tech , just dont want to deal with returns right now with everything going on.

Take a look at the manual. That's the best place for solid information.

HERE is a shortcut to the manual.

Pages 46-47 talk about this specifically. If the camera (any EOS Digital Camera) was released after the second half of 2017, it's fully compatible with AI.B Full-Auto shooting. Otherwise, you'll have to use the Depth of Field Preview Button.

The SL3 was released in 2019, so you're good. 

I hope that helps! You'll also find helpful information from within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

JMeyers
Apprentice
So the 470ex-AI and Rebel SL3 play nice together as an external flash.
Is it possible to use the 470ex-AI wirelessly with SL3?

My reading of the specs and manual say that you can't use the pop-up flash as a wireless master.

Announcements