cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430exiii-rt

aluaplv
Apprentice

I can't set my speedlite 430EX III-RT on high speed sync.  I am using the speedlite as a slave with no master.  I am using the optical wireless and ettl. I tried setting it on both my speedlite and my camera (60d).  The option is greyed out on my camera. The speedlite has the group options where the sync should be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried everything last night with my T6S and 430EX, but could not get the shutter above 1/200 in wireless mode. No problem when the flash was on the camera.

Arena's speedilighters handbook does not mention anything about this, but I am guessing that because the on-camera flash does not support HSS, that even though you don't want to use it for the shot, the camera does not go into HSS mode.

You will have to use a flash extension cable or get another master that shoots HSS.

It might actually be worth a call to Canon.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There seem to be a few things that need to be observed.  First, and foremost, the optical transmission does not work if your camera is set to any of the automatic or a Basic Zone mode.  You must use one of the creative zone modes, P, Tv, Av, M, or B.

Second, after setting the unit to slave mode, make sure that the firing group and the transmission channel in the flash matches the settings in the camera.  Detailed instructions on radio frequency operation begin on page 71 of the Instruction Manual.

430EX III-RT Instruction Manual Download  

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I shoot in manual mode.  The optical transmission is working fine.  I just can't use the high speed sync in opiical transmission..  I appreciate any suggestions you can give me.  Thanks.

What shutter speed are you at? Is it appropriate for HSS?

I would like to use a high shutter speed to darken the ambient bright sunlight, but my camera only lets me go to 250 (sync speed) with my off camera flash on.

Does it work when the flash is on the camera?

@aluaplv wrote:

I would like to use a high shutter speed to darken the ambient bright sunlight, but my camera only lets me go to 250 (sync speed) with my off camera flash on.

Would an ND filter be of any help?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No, because that will lower the flash power, too.

It should work this is a common technique.

Are you in E-TTL flash mode?

Yes, I am in ettl flash mode.

Announcements