Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

430exiii-rt

[ Edited ]

I can't set my speedlite 430EX III-RT on high speed sync.  I am using the speedlite as a slave with no master.  I am using the optical wireless and ettl. I tried setting it on both my speedlite and my camera (60d).  The option is greyed out on my camera. The speedlite has the group options where the sync should be.

VIP

Re: 430exiii-rt

There seem to be a few things that need to be observed.  First, and foremost, the optical transmission does not work if your camera is set to any of the automatic or a Basic Zone mode.  You must use one of the creative zone modes, P, Tv, Av, M, or B.

Second, after setting the unit to slave mode, make sure that the firing group and the transmission channel in the flash matches the settings in the camera.  Detailed instructions on radio frequency operation begin on page 71 of the Instruction Manual.

430EX III-RT Instruction Manual Download  

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

I shoot in manual mode.  The optical transmission is working fine.  I just can't use the high speed sync in opiical transmission..  I appreciate any suggestions you can give me.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

What shutter speed are you at? Is it appropriate for HSS?

New Contributor

I would like to use a high shutter speed to darken the ambient bright sunlight, but my camera only lets me go to 250 (sync speed) with my off camera flash on.

Esteemed Contributor

Does it work when the flash is on the camera?

VIP

@aluaplv wrote:

I would like to use a high shutter speed to darken the ambient bright sunlight, but my camera only lets me go to 250 (sync speed) with my off camera flash on.

Would an ND filter be of any help?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

No, because that will lower the flash power, too.

It should work this is a common technique.

Esteemed Contributor

Are you in E-TTL flash mode?

New Contributor

Yes, I am in ettl flash mode.