cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430exiii-rt

aluaplv
Apprentice

I can't set my speedlite 430EX III-RT on high speed sync.  I am using the speedlite as a slave with no master.  I am using the optical wireless and ettl. I tried setting it on both my speedlite and my camera (60d).  The option is greyed out on my camera. The speedlite has the group options where the sync should be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried everything last night with my T6S and 430EX, but could not get the shutter above 1/200 in wireless mode. No problem when the flash was on the camera.

Arena's speedilighters handbook does not mention anything about this, but I am guessing that because the on-camera flash does not support HSS, that even though you don't want to use it for the shot, the camera does not go into HSS mode.

You will have to use a flash extension cable or get another master that shoots HSS.

It might actually be worth a call to Canon.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

I tried everything last night with my T6S and 430EX, but could not get the shutter above 1/200 in wireless mode. No problem when the flash was on the camera.

Arena's speedilighters handbook does not mention anything about this, but I am guessing that because the on-camera flash does not support HSS, that even though you don't want to use it for the shot, the camera does not go into HSS mode.

You will have to use a flash extension cable or get another master that shoots HSS.

It might actually be worth a call to Canon.

I asked Syl Arena, who actually wrote the book on Speedilites. You have to be able to set HSS on the master to set it on the slave. Since the pop-up flash cannot do HSS, you cannot set it wirelessly. You will have to use a cord.

think I read in my 5D lll manual that if you set it to shoot at the normal highest shutter speeds 150/200 that it wouldnt let you use HSS...... might want to check if yours is the same

jleisure
Apprentice

I own a Canon 6D and two Speedlite 430EX. I recently purchased a 430EX III/RT. I want to be able to fire all my speedlites while using my 6D. I have read the manual for the EX/RT from cover to cover and I can not make this setup work. I understand the EX/RT is not optical only radio controlled and my 430EX's require optical. I'm lost can someone help? I also have 2 yongnuo yn622c ii transceivers.

You can't the 430EXIII/RT is only a radio master, not an optical master. You need either the optical master only unit, or a 580EX.

@kvbarkley wrote:

You can't the 430EXIII/RT is only a radio master, not an optical master. You need either the optical master only unit, or a 580EX.

Or either version of the 600EX. The 600EX-RT, unlike the 430EXIII-RT, can do both.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ack!, I keep forgetting they bumped up the guide number. I have 580 stuck in my head!
Announcements