cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430EX III with EOS 70D

jim_h
Apprentice

Does somebody know, if is possible control external flash exposure from camera? I thought it was possible when you press SET button and rotate with ring circle, but when I press SET I can just see exposure value, but I am not able to change it from camera. It is possible only for build flash.

I updated camera firmware 2 day ago, so I want to know, if i have mistake in settings or I am wrong and this possibility is just for build flash.

I looked into the manual, but I did not find any help.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is the flash attached to the camera or is it connected via optical wireless flash?

Tim
Authority

jim_h, 

The flash needs to be attached to the camera's hot shoe in order to access the external Speedlite menu in the camera. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Flash is attached to camera via hot shoe. There is difference in behavior when I press SET for build flash and external flash.

With build flash:

When I press SET I can see flash exposure icon in viewfinder and I can move with exposition

With external 430EX III

When I press SET I can see flash exposure icon in viewfinder, but this icon is slowly flashing and I am not able to change flash exposition.

Same situation when I press Q button and want to change this setting from quick menu.

But I can see, there is communication with external flash. For example if I change aperture or zoom, values are changing on external flash display.

@jim_h wrote:

Flash is attached to camera via hot shoe. There is difference in behavior when I press SET for build flash and external flash.

With build flash:

When I press SET I can see flash exposure icon in viewfinder and I can move with exposition

With external 430EX III

When I press SET I can see flash exposure icon in viewfinder, but this icon is slowly flashing and I am not able to change flash exposition.

Same situation when I press Q button and want to change this setting from quick menu.

But I can see, there is communication with external flash. For example if I change aperture or zoom, values are changing on external flash display.

Conceivably, something like that might happen if your external flash were set to TTL or Manual. It may have to be set to E-TTL to take its settings from the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This setting is also correct. E-TTL is set.

I got it. Problem is, when you set some compensation on external flash. Then you are not able control this compensation from camera any more. You have to go to 0 first and then you can change value from camera.

Thanks to all for advices.

@jim_h wrote:

I got it. Problem is, when you set some compensation on external flash. Then you are not able control this compensation from camera any more. You have to go to 0 first and then you can change value from camera.

Thanks to all for advices.

Interesting factoid. Glad you were able to track it down.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements