cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

430EX III-RT & ST-E2

DJHD6
Apprentice

I have both of these and the transmitter will fire the flash gun. I thought in TTL optical mode. I am wrong? will it only work on manual. Note I know the ST-E2 won't control it radio for that I would need the ST E3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

My reading of the manual says that the 430EX III-RT can only be a slave in optical mode.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

My reading of the manual says that the 430EX III-RT can only be a slave in optical mode.

diverhank
Authority

@DJHD6 wrote:

I have both of these and the transmitter will fire the flash gun. I thought in TTL optical mode. I am wrong? will it only work on manual. Note I know the ST-E2 won't control it radio for that I would need the ST E3.

You are right - you can control the 430EXIII as a slave in ETTL optical mode.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

DJHD6
Apprentice

Thanks for you replies it's good to know that is the case. I'm still playing around with it, I thought when I changed the flash exposure to -2 on the camera menu it would show on the flash gun as -2 , it doesn't but it does work reducing the fash power. I can't do some functions like second curtain. I assume I could do with ST-E3 radio transmitter? If I needed full use of flash capabilities I suppose the lead would be a better choice? If that all makes sense. sorry new to this flash game.

@DJHD6 wrote:

Thanks for you replies it's good to know that is the case. I'm still playing around with it, I thought when I changed the flash exposure to -2 on the camera menu it would show on the flash gun as -2 , it doesn't but it does work reducing the fash power. I can't do some functions like second curtain. I assume I could do with ST-E3 radio transmitter? If I needed full use of flash capabilities I suppose the lead would be a better choice? If that all makes sense. sorry new to this flash game.

It changes to the correct setting after you press the shutter.  The ST-E2 sends out light pulses to tell the remote flash 1. the settings and 2. fire the flash.  You can check the remote flash after the shot. It should now have the correct setting.

Not sure you can do 2nd curtain sync with the ST-E3 either but I'm not sure.  That was something I had never used with the remote flash.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements