cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

270ex II not connecting wirelessly to T6S

Big_Poppa_JDog
Apprentice
Hi everyone. I've been trying to connect the Speedlite 270EX II to my Rebel T6s but can't seem to get it to sync through wireless. I've tried every setting and channel but only works when mounted to the camera. I've dug around online but haven't seen anything about incompatibility, so i was wondering if anyone else has this issue or if it's just me not setting it up properly. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you operating within guidelines on page 189 of manual? It's optical wireless only.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Keep in mind the window on the front of the flash has to be able to 'see' the camera's on camera flash in order to opperate as a slave  This means if you want the flash facing away from the camera you would need something to reflect the cameras flash to the front of the 270EX II.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Keep in mind the flash is "optically" triggered by the on-camera flash of your T6s.  It is not radio.  It must have line-of-sight.  Make sure you've read through pages 189-200 of your T6s manual.

The head on the 270EX II can be tilted upward, but does not swivel side-to-side (like the 430EX II, 430EX III-RT, or 600EX-RT).  On those flashes that have swivel heads, you'd normally rotate the lower body so that the sensor panel is facing the camera, but swivel the head to wherever you want to direct the light.  On the 270EX II you can't do that... which means the 270EX II will probably just catch the reflection of the light.  Consequently, the 270EX II will be limited in use outdoors (where big open spaces means there's not much that can reflect the light) and will probably work better indoors (where ceilings and walls will reflect light.)

If in doubt that the 270EX II is able to notice the on-camera flash firing then you should try this in a small room with white walls or just put the slave flash in front of the camera (a few feet away) and have it face the camera (so the sensor on the 270EX II cannot possibly miss the on-camera flash firing.   The on-camera pop-up flash is what triggers the 270EX II -- technically the camera fires a "pre-flash" before the shutter is even open ... the slave then fires just a fraction of a second later (after the camera shutter has had time to open.)  You have the choice of having ONLY the slave flash fire (when shutter is open -- because you'll _always_ see the on-camera flash fire the "pre-flash"), or have both flashes fire when the shutter is open (you can even control the ratio or power level of each flash.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements