cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the best batteries for canon speed lights?

Nandy
Apprentice

I'm disappointed with my speed light batteries,

any of you please suggest me what is the best batteries to use for canon speed lights

4 REPLIES 4

pjmacd
Enthusiast
I use good-quality rechargeable batteries, such as Eveready.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Sanyo Eneloops -- these are "low self discharge" batteries.  A year after charging I think they still retain about 80% of the ful. charge.  Regular rechargables can lose that much sitting on the shelf for just one day after being charged.

Eneloops are very popular for flash.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

+1 for Eneloops. The best ones for flash (fast recycle rate, lot of power) are eneloops and Powerex. Powerex has faster recycle rate and power for me. However, it discharges too fast compare to the eneloops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I agree with hsbn! The white-colored* Sanyo Eneloops, rated 1900 milli-amps, do very well for all-around use, as they keep their charge for extended periods, and are excellent performers. The higher-milli-amp Powerex batteries are nice to have when one can fully charge them right before an event, but within days, they have self-discharged quite a bit. I use both, depending upon whether I can anticipate large-volume shooting. It is Eneloops that stay loaded in the Speedlites most of the time.

I will add that a "smart" charger, that charges each cell individually, is important. I use the Maha charger model that Syl Arena recommends. Not only does it keep my Eneloops and Powerexes working optimally, it resurrected some assorted older batteries my wife had thought were dead.

Syl Arena explained it this way, as I remember it: the cheap chargers will charge until the weakest cell can hold no more, then switches off, so the several cells can only perform as well as the weakest one. An advanced charger, that charges each cell individually, provides each cell with a full charge.

*The standard 1900-milli-amp Eneloop color is white. Some sellers stock them in special colors.
Announcements