cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flash triggers and the canon 430exII can't get it to work

Mwhite
Apprentice
I have a canon 6d, and a 430ex II. I purchased a set of remote trigger receivers and transmitter. I also have an old vivitar flash. I can fire both flashes with the test button on the transmitter. I put the transmitter in the shoe of the 6d. Can not get the flashes to fire from the camera. Obviously I have something wrong!:-) how do I get this to work? Settings? Buy more stuff? Never really use flash but want to learn how it works. I know the 430 can't work on its own only as a slave but thought the remote wireless triggers would work.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mwhite wrote:

Yes I have had it in live view.

That's it.  Third party flashes won't work in LiveView.  Turn it off, I'll almost guarantee that it'll work.  You can try the settings I suggested, but it should work at any setting.  With the dummy triggers it'll even fire if you're above your max sync speed.

Some cameras have a "silent shooting" setting that, when turned off, allow it to work.  Others claim that simply shooting in continuous and shooting multiple frames that the second frame works.

I tried the "silent shootin" custom setting on my 6D and couldn't get it to work.  But I don't really use LiveView, especially with flash, so I didn't put much effort into it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We don't quite have enough info.  

The 430EX II can be an "optical" slave (natively) using Canon E-TTL.  This implies an E-TTL compatible transmitter is being used.  This would imply another Canon speedlite on camera, or the Canon ST-E2 transmitter... (the built-in pop-up flash can be used depeding on camera model but the 6D doesn't have a pop-up flash).  There are also 3rd party products that offer some E-TTL compatibility because the 430EX II wont trigger based on the optical flash of a "generic" flash (it must be an E-TTL master flash AND the 430EX II has to be switched in to slave mode (it's not in this mode by default.)

It's also possible to make ANY flash work off camera by using both a transmitter and receiver (the receiver is attached to the foot of the flash and fires the flash just as if it were mounted to the camera hot-shoe).  When used this way, the 430EX II would NOT be configured to work in "slave" mode.  It would be treated as if it's an on-camera flash (it doesn't know the device attached to the foot of the flash is not actually the camera.)

So what we don't know, is specifically which receiver/transmitter are you using and how have you connected it to the flash?

Are you attempting to use the 430EX II in E-TTL mode or is it working in manual mode?

Is the 430EX II in "slave" mode, or is it in it's normal operating mode?

How is the on-camera transmitter connected and is it using E-TTL or does it just use the center ping (manual flash trigger voltage?)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm going to take a wild swing for a quick fix...  are you using LiveView?  It won't work with LiveView, shoot normal.

If that wasn't it, then we're going to need more info, as Tim said.

If the test button works then communication is there.  Either the transmitter isn't seated properly (triple check, it happens), or something is wrong with a setting.  Make sure the flashes are in manual mode.  Turn the camera to manual (just to troubleshoot), something standard like F/4, 1/160, ISO 800.

Yes I have had it in live view. I will try this tonight when I get home. I  almost always use manual mode for everything. I will try the settings you have suggested. I have suspected its a shutter speed or some menu setting such as turning off the flashes auto shut off setting or some other item down in the menu structure. Thanks

@Mwhite wrote:

Yes I have had it in live view.

That's it.  Third party flashes won't work in LiveView.  Turn it off, I'll almost guarantee that it'll work.  You can try the settings I suggested, but it should work at any setting.  With the dummy triggers it'll even fire if you're above your max sync speed.

Some cameras have a "silent shooting" setting that, when turned off, allow it to work.  Others claim that simply shooting in continuous and shooting multiple frames that the second frame works.

I tried the "silent shootin" custom setting on my 6D and couldn't get it to work.  But I don't really use LiveView, especially with flash, so I didn't put much effort into it.

Ok heres some more info. The 430ex II, is not set as a slave. The 430ex II is in Manual mode.

The recievers and transmitter are set to channel 1.

The model is:

Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Remote FM Flash Speedlite Radio Trigger with 2.5mm PC Receiver for Canon 580EX II 580EX 550EX 540EZ 520EZ 430EX, Universal Hot Shoe (1 Trigger & 2 Receivers Set)

The flashes are attached to the recievers via the shoe mount on the recievers. the transmitter is attached to the camera via  its shoe mount.  Its just a transmitter with a test button on top.

I too have a 6d and a 430ex ii flash. I also have two 3rd party manual flash units. I usually have my Canon flash mounted on the camera and use the knock-offs on tripods (off-camera)... I borrowed a second 430ex ii from a friend to learn how to use one in master and the other in slave mode (thinking I would spend the money on a second one for myself). I quickly learned the 430ex ii cannot be used as master. Nor will it fire when it sees a "generic" flash from a 3rd party unit.
When I learned this, I was pretty aggravated. Why won't the 430ex ii fire from a "generic" flash of a 3rd party flash? Why won't it act as a master? I think it's pretty crappy that Canon forces us the purchase their over-priced flash units. I think I might just sell my 430ex ii and go with knock-off units.

Feel better?

You bought a high end camera, and Canon expects you to use high end solutions. My T6S works just fine as a master for my 430 EX.

You can buy a trigger for your 430EX that will optically trigger and ignore the pre-flash from the 430EX on the 6D.

No, I don't feel too much better. But for the record, I have always been a Canon fan. I had an AL1, back in the film days.  However, now, I can't help the feeling of being ripped off by them.   

You are correct that I now own a very good camera, I love it. It is the best I can afford. I am an enthusiast, not a professional. I bought it for its full frame. Prior to owning the 6d, I owned a 7d. I had no problem using the 7d's pop-up as master and my 430ex ii as slave.

I am, at least, happy to find out about this prior to spending more money on a flash that won't work as I had hoped. I guess I'm venting so others my be aware of this limitation of the 430ex ii before purchasing one for themselves.

You mentioned you have a 430 ex. Not the ex ii? From what I understand, the ex will, in fact, function as a master. Courious as to why they would "up grade" the 430ex (by releasing the 430ex ii), but reduce its features.

I have the II, it is not a master.

Announcements