cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Flash Master Trigger For Canon 90D

Chris_N
Enthusiast

I have two Canon 580 EX and also a Canon 430EX I am using with my 90D. I know that I can use a 580Ex on my hot shoe as a master to fire the other 2 flashes wirelessly. I know the 430EX can act as a slave but not a master.

However, there are some situations I would like to fire the two 580EX flashes wirelessly off shoe. I know that the 90D built in flash can fire them optically but not wirelessly. 

Is there a third party gadget that I can put on the hot shoe that can act as a master to fire the two 580EX wirelessly (not optically). That would be a great help. Your advice would be appreciated. 

Kind regards

Chris

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I think when you say "wirelessly (not optically)", you mean via radio?  That's not possible with the 580-series or older 430 series (I and II).   You'll need to use an optical (i.e. line-of-sight) setup.

You should be able to have all three of your flashes act as slaves to be triggered by the 90D's built-in flash.   They would need to be positioned such that they can "see" that flash (line-of-sight).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Yes, there are third-party radio wireless gadgets that can allow you to use your 580EX flash units wirelessly, but will require a radio receiver for each flash unit.

D86BA717-9969-47B9-BF68-F06C898D23DD.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Chris_N
Enthusiast

Thank you rs-eos and Mike for your helpful replies. The radio transmitters and receivers look cool but I expect are quite pricey. In the meantime I discovered Canon make a "ST-E2" Speedlite transmitter but that is outside of my price range. (B&H sell them for $169). For that price, I might as well buy an extra second hand 580EX. I much prefer the 580EX compared to later models because it has an on-board dial for exposure compensation. It's much easier than fiddling with the custom functions and settings.  

I only very occasionally need to use two 580EX off shoe, so I may go for the built in remote optical firing on my 90D instead. The disadvantage is that I have to make sure that the IR detectors on both 580EX are pointed towards the inbuilt camera flash. I am sure the wireless radio method is more reliable and has a better range. If I could find a third party gadget for about $50 I would be tempted. 

Out of interest, when a 580 EX is placed on the hot shoe and set as a master flash, does it trigger other flashes by wireless radio signals or does it use the infrared line of sight method? I was under the impression it uses radio. 

Kind regards

Chris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The 580EX and 580EX II both use ONLY optical wireless. Radio wireless did not arrive until the 600EX-RT, 430EX III-RT, and ST-E3-RT. (if it doesn’t say RT, it is optical only)

One big advantage to the 580EX II is that it has compatibility with your 90D in-camera flash menu. (the 580EX does not) I find the in-camera menu makes setting up a master/slave setup much easier.

A cheap alternative to the Canon ST-E2 is the Yongnuo ST-E2 version. A Canon 90EX can also act as a master and is also a cheaper alternative. (these are all optical wireless solutions)

097D974C-535F-4536-81E0-99E0D1A6091D.jpeg6A7C9766-9EE9-4049-BF6B-E78257AC978D.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Thanks Mike. Very interesting information. I will check them out. All this time I thought that the 580EX worked with radio wireless. I didn't know that it works with optical/IR wireless.  Good to know. I doubt that I will ever use them more than 10 meters away off shoe  outdoors.

Kind regards

Chris

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

In my experience the Canon optical IR remote system works quite well indoors. In a room with light coloured walls, the IR light bounces all over, and you don’t really need direct line of sight. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements