cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speedlite 430EX II Compatibility with EOS R6 Mark II?

mercator
Contributor

I am looking to buy a second hand flat (as I am normally outside in bright sunshine or in a studio with studio lights) and 430EX II have become very affordable. I was wondering if the 430EX II will work with the Mark II version of the Canon R6 - including TTL - and if the the Canon R6 Mark II's flash menu will work? Will I face any limitations?

Helmut
Canon R6 Mark II lover with a few RF and EF, Lensbabies and Loreo 3D lenses
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Yes the 430EX II is fully compatible with your camera. It's fully compatible with the in camera flash menu. Note the IR AF Assist Beam IS INCOMPATIBLE with mirrorless cameras. The speedlite will switch to Intermittent Flash Firing (IFF) to assist the camera's AF system in low light. But depending on the ambient lighting. The camera body may emit an LED AF Assist Beam. The camera must to One Shot AF. The AF Assist Beam enabled in the camera and the speedlite. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

No the speedlite won't fully slide in and lock into the hot shoe if its a model with weather sealing. My friend's mom owns the R6 Mark II and her husband owns the R7. The EL-1 won't fully slide in and lock into the hot shoe. The only thing that you would lose functionality wise would be the IR AF Assist Beam. The speedlite will switch to Intermittent Flash Firing (IFF) automatically. Even speedlites such as the EL-1 which has choice between IR and IFF. Will use IFF on the EOS R series. All that setting does if a color filter or flash diffuser is used and the speedlite is set to IFF. The camera body will emit an LED AF Assist Beam. The way how IFF works is the camera rapidly varies the voltage to the speedlite to control the brightness of AF Assist pre-fire. Canon EL-1 AF Assist Beam Protocol on EOS R Series.pngEOS R AF Assist Beam Emission Method.png

Canon Multi Function Hot Shoe.pngIMG_20230522_173552.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Wow, deebatman316, thanks a lot for this long reply which I really appreciated. Then I remove the 580EX II weather sealing - which should not not be a problem and then things should work? Or I just stick with getting an 430EXII.

Helmut

If you're looking into a new speedlite look into the EL-5 it uses the new multi function hot shoe natively it doesn't use the older 5 pins on the hot shoe. The EL-5 has an LED AF Assist Beam instead of using IFF depending on the camera body.

Canon EL-5 AF Assist Beam Protocol .pngEL-5 AF Assist Beam Emission Method.pngEL-5 LED AF Assist Beam Brightness.png

-Demetrius

Yea, a new flash... I am very often shooting in a home studio, so there is no need for a flash. I will probably just get a brand new EX430II - which I can get from a friend at about 50 USD... That probably will just have to do. Thanks for you replies, deebatman316, they have very much been appreciated.

Helmut

For most non-professional shooters the 430EX series covers most of your needs. The 580EX series, 600EX series & EL-1 are for more professional or advanced shooters. I use my 470EX-AI more than my 600EX II-RT mainly due to size and I don't always need a high power speedlite. Unless I'm shooting outdoors with HSS.

-Demetrius

Announcements