cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Speedlite EL-5 Compatibility with EOS R5 and EOS R5 C

JFoss
Contributor

I am surprised that the compatability for the R5 and R5C is not listed.  Can Canon officially confirm it will be supported when released so that I can pre-order??

Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I concur with Ricky.  The shoe on our R5 C's have the updated shoe.  Same as the R3.  I would not hesitate to pre-order.

shadowsports_0-1667498034874.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Danfaz
Enthusiast

It's only compatible with newer cameras (R7,R10,R3,R6II) with multi-function hotshoe.

Per the product page: ImportantBecause of the transition to Canon’s Multi-function accessory shoe, please be aware that Speedlite EL-5 cannot be mounted or used on Canon cameras with other accessory shoe designs.

Also in the tech specs: Compatible Cameras EOS cameras equipped with a Multi-purpose Shoe

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

None of the multifunction accessories such as flashes, transmitters, or even adapters work, at all, on the R5C in photo mode.  A firmware update is desperately needed for the photo mode on the R5C.  Some of us can only afford one camera, and we need a way to update the stills mode firmware.  Canon please.

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

It’s weird they only call out R7,R10,R3,R6II. I am thinking we will need a firmware update though… 

The is the gist of the correct answer:

The bodies that will be compatible with the EL-5 are 1) those with the new multi-function shoe and 2) those that will be eligible for the firmware update.

xno
Apprentice

For what it is worth CanonUSA did confirm that the R5C is compatible (in Photo mode) in the comment section of the EL-5 Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOrFhFtU_p0

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@xnowrote:

For what it is worth CanonUSA did confirm that the R5C is compatible (in Photo mode) in the comment section of the EL-5 Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOrFhFtU_p0

I guess we can put this to rest.

shadowsports_0-1672935739651.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Canon's website info is not always accurate, or up-to-date. Checking the info about various lenses and compatibility with extenders, there's a lot of misinformation there.

Regarding the new multi-function foot and shoe, I can confirm the following:

The Speedlites and the ST-E10 transmitter, with the new multi-function foot, will not fit or work on any camera without the new shoe, i.e. with a conventional hot shoe.

Speedlites with a conventional hot shoe (hot foot?) will, however, work on a camera with the new multi-function shoe. It is not necessary to use the AD-E1 shoe adapter. However some speedlites with rubber seals for moisture/dust protection, such as the EL-1, when fitted directly to a camera with a multi-function shoe, will not be protected because the seal doesn't fit. That's what the AD-E1 adapter is for - it provides a surface for the seal to mate with, thus retaining the moisture/dust resistance.

I learned to my cost that the off-camera function of the EL-100 and EL-5 speedlites are incompatible. The EL-5 has no optical remote function, only RF radio, whereas the EL-100 has only optical, no RF. In my naivete I assumed since they are both recent, EL series flashes that they were bound to work together. Duh. In this case the older 430 EX mk III RT is my saviour: it supports both optical and RF off-camera functionality, albeit optical only as slave.

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
@chrishoesel wrote:

None of the multifunction accessories such as flashes, transmitters, or even adapters work, at all, on the R5C in photo mode.  A firmware update is desperately needed for the photo mode on the R5C.  Some of us can only afford one camera, and we need a way to update the stills mode firmware.  Canon please.

Hi Chris,

For everyone's benefit.  What are you trying to use that's not supported?

The EL-5 is not released yet. 

Based on design, you will never be updating the stills side of the R5 C's FW on its own.  Updates for this body will always be done in Cinema OS.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

The ST-E10, and the adapter (forgot its name) None of which will power up in stills nor in Cinema mode.  (I understand the Tascam powers up in Cinema mode but I don't have one of those.)

Past Gear:
1DX, 1DXII, 1DIV, 7D, EF 2.8 Trinity, EF-500mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1,2L II USM
Current Gear:
R5C, RP, RF15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM, RF50mm f/1.2L USM, RF100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM, 4x 600EX-II-RT Speedlites

Thanks for the answer.  So, when I updated my Cinema EOS FW to 1.0.3.1 (I think that's the latest) did it also update the Stills side?

Wondering if I need to return the R5C and get the R3 instead?  I bought the R5C because I wanted an R5, but this one had the MF Shoe, so I got it even though the Cinema OS is overkill for the videos I make.  (Will learn to work with it, but I do mainly stills)  Was hoping a Firmware update would activate the multifunction shoe to work with the new EL-5, which I've preordered.

Past Gear:
Current Gear:

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suspect the EL-5's delay is going to (at least partially) coincide with the next R5 C FW release.  The information was a bit ambiguous.  No one really knew what to expect.  Support appeared to be poised with its release, then it got delayed.  It seems now that EL-5 support is being added to the newer bodies on a case by case, FW by FW release.  I'm feeling rather confident its going to be included in whatever the R5 C gets the next go around. 

As far as what or if something got updated or "refreshed" on the stills side with v1.0.3.1 is unknown.  We received an additional stop of DR, 13 > 14 and Netfix certification.  

I think the "bigger" update is going to be June time frame.  Have to run to work.  I'll add more later.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements