cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light weight flash recommendations?

homenko2
Apprentice

Hi, I am moving from 80D to R6M2. I am used to the pop-up flash that would give me decently crisp pictures when I am inside the home (under recessed lights).

With R6M2, the ISO is at 25600 (in auto mode, during family events) and the pictures are less impressive. I do have a 430 EX ii, but it makes the whole thing very heavy.

Is there some light weight flash that would be good enough to replace a pop-up flash?

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

The 430EX II is a great flash unit. If you want to go smaller look into the EL-100. For used look into the 270EX, 270EX II & 220EX. Note the 220EX is an older speedlite. It is NOT COMPATIBLE with the in camera flash menu. It has partial compatibility to set Rear Curtain Sync, AF Assist Beam Firing, FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation) & Flash Firing. Note for older speedlites utilizing an "IR" AF Assist Beam. The IR Beam WILL NOT WORK on a mirrorless camera. Instead the AF Assist Beam AUTOMATICALLY switches to Intermittent Flash Firing. But depending on the ambient lighting the camera body may project an LED AF Assist Beam.

In camera flash menu options for older speedlites such as the 220EX, 380EX & 420EXIn camera flash menu options for older speedlites such as the 220EX, 380EX & 420EX

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I was just looking at this post and got called away for work but the EL-10 is another option.  It's the updated version of the 430EX III RT.  It's designed for the multifunction shoe on the R6 Mark II.  Reliable, runs on batteries etc.  It's actually $50 less than its predecessor.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements