Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay between Speedlite EL-1 and Speedlite 430EX II

7thTreeImages
Apprentice

Hi. 

I have the Canon EL-1 on my R5C. 

I have 2 Canon 430EXii flashes on stands. 

I have the 430EXii flashes set in slave mode. I have the EL-1 on-camera in ETTL mode. I think I had it as "sender flash" 

When I test-fire the EL-1, there is a short delay between the EL-1 firing and the 430EXii flashes firing. I haven't taken a picture yet with this setup, but just curious about the delay and if it's normal or is there something else I should be doing. 

Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Wondering if you're seeing any pre-flash that is leading to an observation that they are firing at different times?  Are you in first or second curtain?  Definitely take a photo though with the setup to see if there are any issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

It's first curtain - I didn't mess with too many settings on the EL-1. Not sure about pre-flash...I just hit the "test" button on the EL-1 to fire the flash and my expectation was that the other two 430EXii flashes would fire at the same time....or maybe there should be a delay since they have to "see" the flash first....I'll take a picture and see what it looks like...if there's any noticeable light issues. Thanks!

Are your receiver (slave) flash units IR AF Assist Beam emitter facing the EL-1 Sender (master) flash. This shouldn't affect your picture at all. The Sender (master) speedlite sends a modulated pre-flash from the main flash tube to fire all of the receiver (slave) speedlites.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

With the 580EX II, when using the test button in master/slave mode, the delay is intentional so you can tell if each flash is working. I expect the 600EX RT and EL-1 work the same way. 

Mike Sowsun

This. And if you have 2 receiver flashes, one set to group A and one set to group B, they will fire sequentially, so you can see each one fire.

yes - I can see that with my two EL-1 flashes set to GRP A and GRP B using the ST-E3-RT v2 Canon trigger. I can hit the test button on the trigger and GRP A will flash and then GRP B will flash. 

But when I have one EL-1 flash (sender) and two 430EXII flashes (slaves) when I test fire the EL-1 flash, it flashes and then there's a brief moment and then both 430EXII flashes flash. I think someone mentioned the reason above - saying it's the "pre-flash" so the two 430EXII can "see" the EL-1. 

The sender speedlite must send light coded signals to fire the off camera speedlites. The older optical method requires the receiver speedlites to "see" the light coded signals to fire. Radio triggered speedlites don't need light coded signals to fire. You can see this affect very easily. If you set the sender (master) speedlite not to fire. While your off camera speedlites set up to fire. The sender (master) speedlite must fire so the off camera speedlite can "see" when to fire. When using optical wireless the sender speedlite fires before the shutter opens. To fire the off camera speedlites in time when the shutter is open. Optical transmission doesn't support rear curtain sync. Only radio does when using the EL-1, EL-5, ST-ET-RT & ST-E10. The 600EX-RT, 600EX II-RT & 430EX III-RT support rear curtain sync when the EL-1 is the sender (master) speedlite.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements