cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Speedlite 430 EX ii slave for Canon Powershot SX 60 HS, How ?

Metal
Contributor

Without purchasing any wirelss flash transmitter Can I use my Speedlite 430 EX ii as a slave external flash to work remotely ?

My target is I do not want to attach the flash unit directly into the hotshoe of camera but it should work remotely, How ?

Is it possible with Canon Powershot SX 60 HS ?

Details instruction needed. I tried to set the flash Channel 1, Slave A. But while shooting only pop up flash working not the external flash.

Camera ---------> Flash unit seperated-----> while shooting it must work, How possible ?

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I checked the manual and they warn that "not all features" of E-TTL work with this camera... it should would have been nice if they'd have explained which do and which do not.  They are silent on the topic of triggering a remote flash.

The Speedlite 90EX can be used as a "master" flash to trigger a 430EX II... but this is configured via the on-camera menus because the 90 doesn't have a user interface (other than an on/off switch) ... so if the SX60 HS doesn't have a menu for it, I'm not even sure that would work.

It sounds like you've already learned to put the 430EX II into remote mode (you have to tell it to work as the "slave" and set it's group letter and channel number... but it sounds like you've done that.)  The camera (or master flash) has to be configured to use the same channel number.  Usually the group defaults to "all" (meaning regardless of whether the flash is in group a, b, or c, it'll still fire.  But more sophisticated masters can control whether groups are on and/or the power level or flash ratio of that group independently of the others.  Again... that requires either an on-camera menu OR a master flash that has a control panel on it (like the 600EX-RT, or it's predecessor the 580EX II).

I suspect this camera can't support it or the documentation would have mentioned it.  

You could do it with 3rd party flashes and triggers.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yes I checked my SX60 HS no seperate menu for controlling external flash only little thing like red eye correction. I clicked zoom button of 430ex ii to set the flash as slave but my camera pop up flash doesn't trigger remotely. I am really sad a premium range bridge camera with a multihotshoe camera doesn't have this function built in. Can any expert check the matter in more details if I am not doing it in proper way/method pls. 

Ok about 3rd party device like yongnuo YN622 wireless ETTL flash trigger receiver transmitter transceiver woyld work? How to be sure before purchasing?  

I think you'll need to go this route.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980191-REG/dot_line_dl_0130_ir_flash_trigger_with.html

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Metal wrote:

Yes I checked my SX60 HS no seperate menu for controlling external flash only little thing like red eye correction. I clicked zoom button of 430ex ii to set the flash as slave but my camera pop up flash doesn't trigger remotely. I am really sad a premium range bridge camera with a multihotshoe camera doesn't have this function built in. Can any expert check the matter in more details if I am not doing it in proper way/method pls. 

Ok about 3rd party device like yongnuo YN622 wireless ETTL flash trigger receiver transmitter transceiver woyld work? How to be sure before purchasing?  

Yes, the YN622C transceivers should work.  I used the YN-622C's with my G1x and they performed well. These transceivers fool the camera into thinking the flash is actually attached to the camera when it is not. 

The basic optical slave in the link above will not work for two reasons. 

1) Your camera has an ETTL flash and the ETTL preflash will cause the slave to trigger at the wrong time.

2) The Canon 430EX II has some circuitry that is incompatible with these types of optical triggers. They will fire once and then the flash will no longer respond. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike, that's the first time I've seen your cautions mentioned. Glad I read that.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements