what is the best software for photos composition

desertrat1954
Apprentice

how to composite photos ? I would like to composite 3-4 pictures together 

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The best is Photoshop.  But you may and likely do not need the best whcih is also the most expensive.

Photoshop Elements is very good and a whole lot cheaper.  Plus there are some others that have been around for a long time.

Some are free or free to try I should say.  Do a search for them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hsbn
Whiz

Try GIMP, it's free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

It depends what you mean by composite.   If you're just talking about 3 or 4 simple layers "roughly" stuck together, then HSBN is right, use GIMP, it's free and fully capable.  I say roughly to imply just cutting something out and sticking it on another layer.  I don't mean to belittle it, this is fine for most peoples uses. And if you're asking this is probably sufficient for your needs.  Just get GIMP, don't waste your money with Photoshop.

But people who really composite take it to much, much more complicated levels.  When I composite I will have many, dozens, of intermediary layers of adjustments for each composite layer to realistically pull my layers together.  By then end I can frequently have 50+ layers in a composite, the final working file being over the 2GB limit.  It takes a powerful program and a powerful machine to run this level of computing.  I've never used GIMP, it may be possible to composite at this level, but Photoshop Elements is not, you need the full Photoshop if you really want to get into the art.

Announcements