cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to connect to the server": Image Transfer Utility Windows 10

EP2016
Apprentice

Hello,

After sucessfully using the Canon Image Transfer Utility for many months, I recently noticed that it's no longer connecting to the Canon server.  

I have recently updated to Windows 10, but I honestly can't recall if this error started before or after that on this specific PC - it has worked on Windows 10 on another computer I use, so I believe it's isolated to the one PC.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Canon software and disabled my firewall, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure thing. Follow the link below. Scroll all the way down the page. Click on the download button located at the bottom of the page.

Downloader for image.canon 

Not necessary, but you may want to "Update Web Service" or equivalent on your camera as well to update your selection menu on your camera.

I haven't had the luck of bypassing the cloud upload and straight to the PC like you were able to do on the old Canaon Image Gateway. I hope they fix that soon as currently it is slow to upload to image.canon.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

blueribb
Contributor

Canon Wi-fi Connection Fix

1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Click on Network and Internet
  3. Click on Network and Sharing Center
  4. Click Change advanced sharing settings
  5. Expand All Networks
  6. Click Choose Media Streaming Options
  7. Make sure this is turned ON and try connecting again

then do this:

1. Click on Start and search for "services.msc" and click on it once it appears.

1. Scroll down to "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" and right click, the select "Properties"

1. Click on "Log On' tab up top.

1. Select "Local System account" button and put a check in the check box labeled "Allow service to interact with desktop"

1. Finally, click on "Apply" or "OK" and that's it. Problem solved.

Many Thanks, worked also on my Windows 10 fresh install, version 1909

..Worked until Today, 14/04/2020 the message is coming out again, after some windows updates installed just yesterday, maybe this is related.

Hey,
I followed all these steps and it still doesn't work =\ Same "Failed to connect to the server".
Anything else I might try?

Thanks!

My SX510 HS works fine and connects via WIFI to my Windows 10 computer and to my cellphone BUT all of a sudden this morning I'm getting a pop-up error message on my Windows 10 computer that says:

IMAGE TRANSFER UTILITY

Camera Web Link is not set up. Set up camera web link again.

Failed to connect to the server

I have no clue what to do about this. This Windows pop-up happens more than once and it's annoying. I updated the Image Transfer Utility to version 1.2.4.20 but it didn't help.

Any ideas ?

The Canon Image Transfer Utility isn't working because Canon shut down the server. The new alternative server may come on line shortly but in the meantime I uninstalled the Image Transfer Utility program. 

The "Failed to connect to server" happened at the end of March when Canon discontinued Canon Image Gateway. You'll need to use image.canon server with download of a new transfer software to make the wifi transfer work. However, the new site started few days ago and it is still very clunky and primitive in its function...

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link for the new transfer software ? In the meantime I deleted and removed the current Image Transfer Utility program from my computer. It stopped the constant pop-ups.

Sure thing. Follow the link below. Scroll all the way down the page. Click on the download button located at the bottom of the page.

Downloader for image.canon 

Not necessary, but you may want to "Update Web Service" or equivalent on your camera as well to update your selection menu on your camera.

I haven't had the luck of bypassing the cloud upload and straight to the PC like you were able to do on the old Canaon Image Gateway. I hope they fix that soon as currently it is slow to upload to image.canon.

Thanks, it works fine now 🙂
Announcements