cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS X Catalina Automator Workflow to Generate CR3 Custom Icons

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

To date, Canon R5/R6 CR3 support is still not natively available on macOS X Catalina (V10.15). Of course, DPP can be used to view and edit such files, but sometimes a preview image is all that is needed. Fortunately, the OS itself provides a mechanism to associate a custom icon with an individual file.

While this mechanism would be tedious if performed manually on a large number of images, the built-in Automator app provides a method to automate the process particularly when combined with other tools such as DNG Converter and exiftool.

Please see my post on Apple Communities. Also, please read the "Helpful Answers" text to obtain the latest information.

The workflow itself is available for download on Google Drive at this link. Although well-tested in my environment, it is strongly recommended that you backup your images before running your own tests.

- Pie Lover

HIF (HEIC) files included for comparison

f8196e22-e1fb-45e1-9960-d55d73fb70ed.png

923e9e0c-9b49-4615-b7e9-4b6de02a099d.png

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or you can do it the Apple Preferred way and upgrade to Big Sur. 8^)

(Before I get flamed, yes I know that not everyone can, or even wants, to upgrade to Big Sur!)

Incidentally, I've read posts where some folks were having trouble with the R5/R6 CR3 format on Big Sur (aka macOS 11). 

Personally, I prefer to wait a substantial period of time before adopting a major new OS release. I'm still using Lightroom V6.14 which (partially) works on Catalina (if installed with an earlier OS).

In passing, I should mention that on an unloaded Mac mini (2018, 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5), the workflow averages about 0.6 second per image (or approximately 6 minutes for 600 images). Also, the preview images are stored separately (in a resource fork) so should not modify the original CR3 file.

- Pie Lover

@kvbarkley wrote:

Or you can do it the Apple Preferred way and upgrade to Big Sur. 8^)

(Before I get flamed, yes I know that not everyone can, or even wants, to upgrade to Big Sur!)

I would also like to mention that it is possible to convert the workflow into a stand-alone Macintosh application (using Automator options). In addition, since the use of DNG Converter and exiftool is quite flexible, a similar approach can support a wide variety of RAW formats. For such cases, the workflow would require straightforward modifications to accommodate a format other then CR3.

- Pie Lover

Here is a link to a demo of a more advanced workflow with similar capabilities.

- Pie Lover 

Announcements