cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS High Sierra not compatible with EOS Utility 2.3.0? Help.

livingdaylights
Apprentice

Foolishly updated my MacBook Pro to MacOS High Sierra over the weekend and tried to download some photos off of my Canon 40D via the EOS Utility so I could update my blog, but it doesn't work.  Nothing happens.  Turned the camera off/on, unplugged the cable/replugged the cable, tried different USB ports, etc.  Nothing happened.  Is the EOS Utility not compatible with High Sierra?  If not, is there a work-around?  Will there be a fix?  Thanks!

33 REPLIES 33

@philmbwrote:

Hi Meenxo:

I have a simple Canon SX120.  When my updated High Sierra Macbook Pro would not input images with the cable, I used the card reader instead.  I put the sandisk card into the reader, plug that into the Mac, and I have images downloaded.  Canon does not have a solution, nor do they seem rto care.

Their application worked fined until Apple came out with an update that broke it.  Breaking the existing software base is how Apple implements security.  By constantly breaking the existing sottware base, they believe that they stay one step ahead of hackers.  They might be right.

Meanwhile, it is a strain for manufacturers to keep their applications up to date.  They have to WAIT until Applie releases a new API for the update, which can make it appear as if they are dragging their feet, or do not care.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not true... anyone can join their developer program and you get beta access to everything quite a long while in advance of the general release.  This is true of both macOS and iOS.

BTW, I’m on the latest release of macOS High Sierra and I generally keep my Canon software utilities up to date.  I’m not having any issues (nor do I recall when I ever have).

There were some issues with the USB stack being updated (likely to accommodate the new USB-C standard) and I know some applications had issues with that, but I never had an issue with Canon software over it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

But can you import photos into Photos, the default Apple photo library program?  I can only import them into the third party library program they installed with the software. There seems to be no option to direct the import into Photos.

I typically use Lightroom these days, and previously used Aperture (Aperture is an Apple product) but I don’t import into Photos. I can certainly test it and let you know what I find.

Incidentally, importing into Photos wouldn’t have anything to do with the Canon software.  There is an industry standard interface that software can use to import images from cameras and that’s what they do.  No additional drivers or software are used.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements