cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing software on alternative OS

aessii
Apprentice

To make this short and simple, I'm not running windows or MAC on my computer and have no idea how to go about installing the software to upload what i've already taken with my eos rebel t6. 

I'm running elementaryOS and it's similar to MAC, but I wanted other's input first before i do anything.

Note: i also don't know how to use this OS yet as my computer nerd boyfriend decided I should get into computers, so I won't be much help on answering questions about elementary/how it works. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Assuming you are using jpegs, you should be able to use a card reader and just use standard file manipulation tools to get the images onto the computer. I have no idea whether you have a jpeg viewer or editor available.

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority

If you shoot in raw format, darktable is a good raw converter with tutorials at Youtube. Install it from the Software Center or if it is named AppCenter, similar to App store or Google Play.

If you shoot jpg, connect the camera or the card reader in the computer. Open a folder and you will find the card reader or camera to the left.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Assuming you are using jpegs, you should be able to use a card reader and just use standard file manipulation tools to get the images onto the computer. I have no idea whether you have a jpeg viewer or editor available.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Elementary OS is another flavor of Linux distribution and is closely related to the ubiquitous Ubuntu set of distributions so you will find more information about software choices by searching under Linux. 

Unfortunately Canon's DPP software doesn't run as a native process under Linux or I would dump Win 10 on my HP workstation which is configured for dual boot and spends most of its time running Red Hat's Linux distribution.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would tell "nerdy" boyfriend to let you use a Windows 10 machine and he can run whatever he wants on his computer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

If you shoot in raw format, darktable is a good raw converter with tutorials at Youtube. Install it from the Software Center or if it is named AppCenter, similar to App store or Google Play.

If you shoot jpg, connect the camera or the card reader in the computer. Open a folder and you will find the card reader or camera to the left.

Announcements