cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dpp 4 high CPU and photo editing updates are slow

raviballa
Contributor

I recently updated to latest DPP 4.3.X on Windows 10 (Intel CPU). I am noticiing that there is high CPU usage and also the photo editing updates are taking much longer (10-15secs). DPP 3 was ok but not this slow. Any recommendations on how to get DPP 4 working better?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

From what i've read elsewhere DPP4 is slow compared to DPP3.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

From what i've read elsewhere DPP4 is slow compared to DPP3.

Very. And buggier. And the fact that it isn't downwards compatible with DPP3 is a huge inconvenience.

DPP4 represented a chance for Canon to gain a significant competitive advantage over Nikon, Sony, et al, coming out just as Adobe was bullying its user community into accepting an unfamiliar and unwanted marketing paradigm. But it could turn out to be one of the greatest opportunities missed in the software industry since WordPerfect ceded the text editing market to Microsoft Word. And Canon did it the same way that WordPerfect did it: by releasing a major new product without adequate testing. (The performance issues hint at some serious design flaws as well, but that's harder to tell, looking in from the outside.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have been struggling to like DPP 4. I really do not have other RAW processing alternatives, as DPP is the only one that gives me good color output. 

It's a good thing that Nikon, Sony, et al, RAW processing software sucks, too.

Why should Canon be any different?

As all the mfg's know, no one buys a camera based on the RAW processing software!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@raviballa wrote:

I recently updated to latest DPP 4.3.X on Windows 10 (Intel CPU). I am noticiing that there is high CPU usage and also the photo editing updates are taking much longer (10-15secs). DPP 3 was ok but not this slow. Any recommendations on how to get DPP 4 working better?

DPP4 is a serious memory hog.  You should have at least 8GB, preferably 16GB, if not more. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements