cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows codec pack for 7D Mark ii CR2's

Wynand
Apprentice

Hi,

For all my previous Canon camera's the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) was sufficient to view the CR2 files in picture viewer & explorer, a feature I enjoy very much to quickly delete blurry pictures or pictures with a bad frame.

CR2's from my new Canon 7D Mark ii don't seem supported by this codec pack yet. Any other ways to view CR2's in explorer/picture viewer?

Kind regards,

Arne

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

PM Sent

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Wynand wrote:

Hi,

For all my previous Canon camera's the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (6.3.9721.0) was sufficient to view the CR2 files in picture viewer & explorer, a feature I enjoy very much to quickly delete blurry pictures or pictures with a bad frame.

CR2's from my new Canon 7D Mark ii don't seem supported by this codec pack yet. Any other ways to view CR2's in explorer/picture viewer?

Kind regards,

Arne

Digital Photo Professional (the latest version of which does now support the 7D and the 7D2) has a quick check feature that lets you review your shots and jettison the bad ones. Even if you don't use DPP as your main photo editor, you might find that capability useful.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Nothing is as fast as my winkey+E I'm afraid, so I'm not looking for (paid) external tools to view them, I'm just wondering why the default codec pack doesn't work / when we can expect something that does work. I don't exactly use just one computer, so I'm not really up for paying licenses for five computers just to have quick sneak peaks.

@Wynand wrote:

Nothing is as fast as my winkey+E I'm afraid, so I'm not looking for (paid) external tools to view them, I'm just wondering why the default codec pack doesn't work / when we can expect something that does work. I don't exactly use just one computer, so I'm not really up for paying licenses for five computers just to have quick sneak peaks.

DPP comes free with any EOS camera. If you didn't get it on a CD, you should be able to download if from the Canon site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I know but it is, yet again, an external tool and thus not what I'm looking for..

It's normally that when a brand new camera hits the market there can be a bit of a delay before 3rd party vendors support that new camera's RAW files.

I see that Adobe has support for it as does Apple.  I see somewhat recent updates from them (December) that now include support for the 7D II.

But as I check the Microsoft website, I am unable find a Camera Codec pack released after 4/2014 -- which is prior to the release of the 7D II camera.  That would imply that many owners of recently released camera models are in the same boat with you.  You're waiting on Microsoft to release an update to have native support in Windows.

It used to be at least a 3-6 month wait for RAW support from anyone other than Canon (after release of a new model).  But I've noticed in recent years that Adobe and Apple are now MUCH faster about getting the RAW support out to the public.

The work-arounds are to (a) use Adobe to convert your RAW images or (b) use the Canon utilites to convert your RAW images.  Adobe would let you convert them to .DNG (Adobe's universal "digital negative" format -- their version of RAW).  Using the Canon EOS Utility you can convert them to TIFF, which is 16bit and lossless (so you keep all the adjustment latitude you wanted out of a RAW image.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Two years later and Microsoft still hasn't addded new support for windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10.  The codec's they released  were last known to be updated in 2013.

Announcements