cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 No Longer Will Open Canon Utilities

Mike8
Enthusiast

I had been happily taking photos and videos with my new Canon Rebel T6s connected to a microscope when a couple of days ago I clicked on the Canon Utility as usual.  The Canon Utility V3 screen flashed on and then off,  and then nothing.  Turned the camera on and off,  and disconnected and reconnected USB cable with negative results.  Uninstalled Canon Utilities then reinstalled them - no help.  I suspect Windows 10's the culprit,  but I can't prove it,  and don't know how to fix it.  I'd be more than happy for some suggestions and advice.  Thanks in advance.  Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

USB cable wasn't the problem.  It was a typical Windows 10 SNAFU.  Had to go back to Windows factory settings,  i.e.,  practically reformat the hard disk.  Then reloaded the Canon Utilities.  Drastic,  but worked like a charm.  Wonder how long this will last until Windows dreams up another scew-up.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Mike

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I would suspect the cable. Perfectly good cables have known to just suddenly stop working.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

USB cable wasn't the problem.  It was a typical Windows 10 SNAFU.  Had to go back to Windows factory settings,  i.e.,  practically reformat the hard disk.  Then reloaded the Canon Utilities.  Drastic,  but worked like a charm.  Wonder how long this will last until Windows dreams up another scew-up.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Mike

Have you ever done a Windows System Restore? It doesn't do a full reinstall of Windows, but by selecting an earlier back-up date it will restore system settings to their previous versions, including recent Windows Updates. It doesn't take terribly long to run and can possibly help you troubleshoot what is causing your problems.

When I restored Windows to factory settings it did give me the option of keeping files,  can't recall if they were specified for not.  Opted to do a full erase since I didn't have much of anything important on the computer anyway.  My main guy is a MacBookPro which I find much more user friendly.  I like to use my Windows computer for microscope photography since it has a larger screen for live view.  When I get a photo I want to keep I email it to my Mac.  Works out well for me.  Thanks for your suggestions.  Mike

Mike,

I have been through a similar situation twice except I use an ethernet connection from my EOS 1DX series cameras.  Windows poorly tested updates are the problem and I have had to juggle network setup on both occasions to make things work again.  Dealing with Win 10 is a royal pain at times.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Rodger,

Believe me,  you have my sympathy.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

If I could run DPP and Photoshop under Linux I would happily dump Win 10 because Linux does everything else I need and does it well.  I am using a HP workstation with twin 8 core Xeon CPUs and 128 GB of memory per CPU and it is fast so I haven't been motivated to move to Apple yet but Win 10 is making me wonder.  I ordered it configured for dual boot from HP with Red Hat Linux and Win 10 and unfortunately I have to run it in Win 10 much of the time because of software needs.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements