cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will EOS Webcam Utility support Chrome OS?

mark003
Apprentice

If so when?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mark003 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand there is no way to create an app for the Chrome browser/Chrome OS. However I have a Chromebook[ LINK DELETED ] and would like to be able to connect it to my Canon 5D Mark IV.

I am currently using a Magewell HDMI to USB converter per suggestion from [ LINK DELETED ]

I wonder if it is possible to use Chromebook with my camera without such a card? Perhaps update the Camera firmware so it outputs a video stream similar to the Magewell's output? But that may be beyond the capabilities of the Camera.

Thanks again.

Again. It's not going to happen.  Chrome OS is not a real operating system.  It is a glorified web browser.  

All of the "apps" that you install come from one source, Google.  All of the "apps" are written by Google.  The "apps" that you install are actually extensions on the the Chrome web browser.  The Pixel Book is neither a laptop, not a tablet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mark003 wrote:

If so when?

Thanks!

Chrome is not a real OS.  It only runs web applications, which means you do not need to installl apps.  In fact, you really cannot install apps on Chrome OS machines.  The fact that it is named after the Google Chrome web browser says it all.

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand there is no way to create an app for the Chrome browser/Chrome OS. However I have a Chromebook ([link removed per forum guidelines]) and would like to be able to connect it to my Canon 5D Mark IV.

I am currently using a Magewell HDMI to USB converter per suggestion from https://thewiredshopper.com/how-to-use-your-dslr-as-a-webcam/.

I wonder if it is possible to use Chromebook with my camera without such a card? Perhaps update the Camera firmware so it outputs a video stream similar to the Magewell's output? But that may be beyond the capabilities of the Camera.

Thanks again.

@mark003 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand there is no way to create an app for the Chrome browser/Chrome OS. However I have a Chromebook[ LINK DELETED ] and would like to be able to connect it to my Canon 5D Mark IV.

I am currently using a Magewell HDMI to USB converter per suggestion from [ LINK DELETED ]

Thanks again.

Again. It's not going to happen.  Chrome OS is not a real operating system.  It is a glorified web browser.  

All of the "apps" that you install come from one source, Google.  All of the "apps" are written by Google.  The "apps" that you install are actually extensions on the the Chrome web browser.  The Pixel Book is neither a laptop, not a tablet.

What Waddizzle describes is the original Chromebook concept, but these days Chrome OS devices can run Android applications, and there's a chance of running Linux and Windows programs, so the question of whether the webcam utility will support the platform is not ridiculous.

@esmith wrote:

What Waddizzle describes is the original Chromebook concept, but these days Chrome OS devices can run Android applications, and there's a chance of running Linux and Windows programs, so the question of whether the webcam utility will support the platform is not ridiculous.

There is a major difference between running a "software" application like spreadsheet, and "hardware" applications that interacts with the computer hardware and I/O ports like the EOS Utility applications.

Canon has never written an application for the Chromebook platform.  I do not expect that to change in the near future.  Most Chroomebook tablets lack the minimum display resolutio.  

BTW, the question is not ridiculous.  Arguing for Chrome OS support is another matter.

The only minimum display resolution that I can find associated with a Canon utility is 1024x768, which even a $200 Chromebook can handle.  They're quite a compelling light-duty platform these days, and the small-screen models are ridiculously portable, such that you might be tempted to plug a camera into one just to do image uploads while on to go.  Bit of a shame not to be able to use that same camera as a webcam while you're at it.

The real payoff in development effort is probably getting the camera firmware to present itself as a USB video device just like the HDMI-to-USB dongle that Mark's using.  Apparently Canon's not able to do that with their existing models (or there'd be no need for the utility).

peter-kehl
Apprentice

With USB out: If you can install Linux (Manjaro is quite friendly, and a "rolling release", so you won't need to re-install for major upgrades), then search online for Linux Canon webcam gPhoto2.

Beware that it uses your laptop's/computer's CPU intensively. No other way around it.

If you can get HDMI out, that could give better quality and less CPU load on your laptop/computer.

- beginner & learner
Announcements