cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will DPP4 correctly process RAW images using a 70D and Sigma 120 - 400 mm lens?

Jerrin1
Contributor

Hi, I wish to buy a used Sigma 120 - 400 mm lens, as the cost will enable me to upgrade my Canon 300 mm f2.8 L IS lens to the mark 2 version. I also own a  Canon 70 - 200 f4 L IS, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L IS macro, Canon 18 - 55 mm IS USM, two Canon 70D cameras and a Canon Speedlight 600 EX - RT. Unfortunately, I cannot justify buying a Canon 100 - 400 mm f4.5/6.6 L IS 11 aswell as upgrading my 300 mm.

I have been unable to identify a free RAW editor alternatative to DPP 4, which will actually process RAW images from my 70D cameras. I do not require the lens correction facility of DPP4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Jerrin1 wrote:

Hi, I wish to buy a used Sigma 120 - 400 mm lens, as the cost will enable me to upgrade my Canon 300 mm f2.8 L IS lens to the mark 2 version. I also own a  Canon 70 - 200 f4 L IS, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L IS macro, Canon 18 - 55 mm IS USM, two Canon 70D cameras and a Canon Speedlight 600 EX - RT. Unfortunately, I cannot justify buying a Canon 100 - 400 mm f4.5/6.6 L IS 11 aswell as upgrading my 300 mm.

I have been unable to identify a free RAW editor alternatative to DPP 4, which will actually process RAW images from my 70D cameras. I do not require the lens correction facility of DPP4.

You can still use DPP (3 or 4) as your RAW converter when using a Sigma lens. You just wont be able to use Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) on those files. DLO only supports Canon lenses.

RawTherapee is a free RAW converter that should work with your 70D, however I would recommend you just stick with DPP if you don't need any lens correction. FWIW I don't know if RawTherapee has lens correction or not anyway.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Jerrin1 wrote:

You can still use DPP (3 or 4) as your RAW converter when using a Sigma lens. You just wont be able to use Canon's Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) on those files. DLO only supports Canon lenses.

RawTherapee is a free RAW converter that should work with your 70D, however I would recommend you just stick with DPP if you don't need any lens correction. FWIW I don't know if RawTherapee has lens correction or not anyway.

Brilliant! Thanks for that, you are a star. I downloaded RawTherapee some time ago but seldom use it. I actually prefer the simplicity of DPP4.

Peter
Authority
Authority
For lens correction in Rawtherapee, copy from Adobe.
http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles
Announcements