cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Canon NOT support the Canon Utilities software?

Calen
Contributor

The Canon Map Utility software can not detect my Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2.  Over the phone, Canon "Customer Support" had me uninstall all 10 Canon Utilities that I had previously installed, and then let me install only 8 older versions of Canon Utilities.  And, the Canon Map Utility software STILL could not detect my Canon GP-E2. 

Why doesn't Canon have ANYONE who knows the Canon Utility software?  The first support rep had NEVER used any of the software!  And the second support rep, whom I was transfered to by a Supervisor who told me that this was the most experienced support person for the software, has only used the software ONCE!

Why does Canon NOT SUPPORT Canon software?????

As an old friend used to always say,
"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen
14 REPLIES 14

I'm finding a similar problem since updating to Map Utility 1.6.0.2 (from Help | About). My GP-E2 is recognized (Tools | GPS Settings recognizes the model and gives me the firmware (1.0.8, Canon doesn't seem to have a newer version on the site - the GP-E2 shows no "Drivers & Software" entry) and s/n for my GP-E2, so clearly it's recognizing the GP-E2.

I've never deleted any of my log files, and one of the computers I've tried this on hasn't yet had them loaded, so there are files to be downloaded.

When I go to import log files (File | Import GPS log files from GPS device), I get the pop-up to attach a GPS-equipped Canon camera, or a memory card. When I click Next, I receive the message that "GPS Importer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution for this problem". This is happening under both Windows 7 Pro SP 1 and Windows 8.1 Pro, both with all latest Microsoft updates.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Jon

Sent you a personal message.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for trying to help, John. 

Are you able to get and use the GPS logs from your GPS-E2?  That's when M.U. says there is no GPS device detected. 

"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen

Yes. Connect GPS to PC, turn GPS on and select download log files in File menu and logs download. Is GPS connecting and recognized when you select icons on right side of window?

What version of GPS firmware? Mine is 1.0.8.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Calen
Contributor
I tried calling Canon during the hours posted on the Canon web site, but there was NO ONE there for Tech Support! It is becoming more and more clear that Canon must have been LYING about supporting it's products! WHAT ELSE IS CANON LYING ABOUT??? Calen
"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen
Announcements