cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Canon NOT support the Canon Utilities software?

Calen
Contributor

The Canon Map Utility software can not detect my Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2.  Over the phone, Canon "Customer Support" had me uninstall all 10 Canon Utilities that I had previously installed, and then let me install only 8 older versions of Canon Utilities.  And, the Canon Map Utility software STILL could not detect my Canon GP-E2. 

Why doesn't Canon have ANYONE who knows the Canon Utility software?  The first support rep had NEVER used any of the software!  And the second support rep, whom I was transfered to by a Supervisor who told me that this was the most experienced support person for the software, has only used the software ONCE!

Why does Canon NOT SUPPORT Canon software?????

As an old friend used to always say,
"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen
14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

My Windwos 7 PC and MacBook Air (Yosemite OS) both detect the GP-E2 using Map Utility (MU) 1.5.3.14.

What OS and version of MU are you running?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, Windows 7 (64-bit), and Map Utility 1.6.0.2. Calen
"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen

I don't know where to get the Map Utility version you have, but I will try to help.

When you connect the GOS to your computer does the device driver load? If not, have you tried a different cable?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yes. The driver loads, and the cable is fine. The Canon Map Utility software does NOT work, is the problem that needs to be addressed. Since Canon does NOT support the software it's products require, I feel like Canon has lied to us, and ripped us off!
"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen

Do you mean that when you go to run MU on the PC nothing happens?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

When I use the GPS-E2 on my camera, the pictures have are geotagged.  It's when I try to use the GPS log that Map Utility has a problem.  I like the idea of recording where I went, not just where each picture was taken.  That way, I can see where I found nothing to take pictures of.

Calen

"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen

You're saying MU gets the log files but won't display map. Page 7 of manual?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm saying the Map Utility software does not detect the GPS-E2 when I try to get the GPS log files.   The pictures are geo-tagged, whether the GPS-E2 is set to "log" or "on".  That part works. 

But, even though I had the GPS-E2 set to "log", and not just "on", the Map Utility fails to detect it when I try to look for those logs.

Calen

"Keep Looking Up!"

Calen

What error message do you get? How do you know that log files were recorded? What camera are you using?

I just installed the latest version of Image Browser and that updated my MU to version 1.6.

The GPS manual is a little unclear, but it looks like if the switch is in On position it will geotag photos. If in Log position it will record a log and also geotag photos.

Which position did you have it in.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_GP-E2_GPS_QuickGuide.pdf

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements