cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I find my downloaded pics?

fireweeds
Contributor

I downloaded the pics off my camera to my computer and see the images in the Camera app only. I now want to move or copy them to my own pics folder but am unable to do that.

Somewhere it says that the pics are at C:/users/.../pictures but they are not there.

Thanks for any tips!

26 REPLIES 26

@fireweeds wrote:

Thanks for your note!

The card reader approach sounds interesting but is a bit beyond my understanding. I heard of card reader but am not sure what it is or how I would use/apply it with my camera.

I am still hoping there is a way to figure the download software out.

What software? EOS Utility? That's probably what you should be using; but it's hard to tell, since you've still told us nothing about the camera you're using, other than that it's a Canon.

There's no device in photography simpler and easier to use than a card reader. If even that is beyond your understanding (your words), you need to do some serious Googling and some serious reading of the manuals for your camera and its accompanying software. None of this is rocket science, but you do have to expend enough effort to learn the basics. It does you little good to ask us questions if you aren't going to understand the answers.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Fireweeds,

If you are using a card reader, your computer will go to the file, and ask if you want to save it,  click.YES.or OPEN..It will go to the file you tell it to.   If I can do it I know you can.  The card readers are inexpensive, around $10

It's a gadget that plugs into the side of  your computer, and you put the card from your camera in the other end.  Its really effecient, and doesn[t waste your camera battery by plugging straight from the camera to the computer.

It's taken me about a month to figure out how to get the photos on my new computer (w/ a card reader built in.)  So then I had to figure out where they went.  Still it didn't download the pics from today.  It seperated ALL the files from different days of shooting on the card, but it forgot to save todays.  I can find them in the EOS software, but not on the computer.  If ANYBODY knows of this issue please help, it's a leaarning process.  I still have to learn to edit too!   I want to tackle this first.  Once you figure it out it's usually pretty easy.  It's the figuring it out part that can be frustrating.  If you tell everyone what your set up is they can better help you.  Ok so you have windows 10, and DL the EOS program that came w/ the camera.  So what camera do you have,  and what are you doing so far that has NOT worked.?  

@fatcat wrote:

Fireweeds,

If you are using a card reader, your computer will go to the file, and ask if you want to save it,  click.YES.or OPEN..It will go to the file you tell it to.   If I can do it I know you can.  The card readers are inexpensive, around $10

It's a gadget that plugs into the side of  your computer, and you put the card from your camera in the other end.  Its really effecient, and doesn[t waste your camera battery by plugging straight from the camera to the computer.

It's taken me about a month to figure out how to get the photos on my new computer (w/ a card reader built in.)  So then I had to figure out where they went.  Still it didn't download the pics from today.  It seperated ALL the files from different days of shooting on the card, but it forgot to save todays.  I can find them in the EOS software, but not on the computer.  If ANYBODY knows of this issue please help, it's a leaarning process.  I still have to learn to edit too!   I want to tackle this first.  Once you figure it out it's usually pretty easy.  It's the figuring it out part that can be frustrating.  If you tell everyone what your set up is they can better help you.  Ok so you have windows 10, and DL the EOS program that came w/ the camera.  So what camera do you have,  and what are you doing so far that has NOT worked.?  

If you're using standard Microsoft (not Canon) software - i.e., what's built into the Windoes OS itself - to read your pictures from the card reader, I might expect them to show up, by default, in your "My Pictures" folder.

Bob

If you're using standard Microsoft (not Canon) software - i.e., what's built into the Windoes OS itself - to read your pictures from the card reader, I might expect them to show up, by default, in your "My Pictures" folder.

Bob
--------------------------------
HI Bob,
Yea they did show up in the my pictures folder, all but the ones I took yesterday, all on the same card, all DL at the same time,...All the pics were all neatly tucked away by date (seperate files), except that one day....I need to try some other things, and I think I will be able to figure it out.  When I opened EOS they were there (yesterdays), but not in the file.   On this (new) computer, when you shoot RAW+JPG it seperates them into 2 seperate pictures. (It didn't do that on Chromebook) which makes the file really BIG.  I really like dl from the card vs plugging in the camera tho.  I suppose if I wanted to use EOS program to DL I would have to do that (plug in the camera to the computer) so it can read all the info (lenses fstop ect), am I right?  The EOS seems to work pretty well w/o doing all that.   Very interesting program.  (I wasn't able to use EOS either w/ the old computer) so I am now learning 2 things.  the camera and the computer!  I think I'm doing ok on my own, not perfect, but for an "analog" person, I think I'm doing okay! lol  Really appreciate input from others, so I know I'm not the only one having a learning curve...(also appreciate  the answers)

Every time you change computers or upgrade the OS or etc, whatever default automated upload process was being done before will probably change just like it changed in your example and like it changed for all the posters who have this same issue. 

Honestly the easiest thing in computers is when you drag and drop.  You can decide where you want the files to go, then open that file in a little window and open another little window for the card in the reader.  Then highlight, drag and drop the image files from the card to the file you want them to copy to.   It never changes. It is always where you want it, organized as you decide.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks Scott!

I tried dragging the pics from the Canon app into my pics folders but it didn't work, no reaction on the side of the app.

I will have to learn more about the card reader option.

fireweeds

@fireweeds wrote:

I tried dragging the pics from the Canon app into my pics folders but it didn't work, no reaction on the side of the app.

Do you happen to know what is the name of the Canon app?  Many programs will store the files it downloads under its own directory, which in this case, most likely in C:\Program Files\Canon\Name of App\Pictures  ...something like that...worth a try.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Just to be clear ...

If you use a card reader, there is no issue of where files are put by default. Each slot on the card reader is automatically assigned a drive letter, and you use standard Microsoft software (e.g., Windows Explorer) to copy the files from the drive that represents the slot that holds the card to any folder you please. There is no sensible reason to overcomplicate this process.

Bob

FW, I am not good at the drag and drop method either, my brain does not get it. I like going to the files and opening them there, until I figure out a better way that I can understand. Still cant send even in Jpeg format cannon says they're too big!

@fatcat wrote:
FW, I am not good at the drag and drop method either, my brain does not get it. I like going to the files and opening them there, until I figure out a better way that I can understand. Still cant send even in Jpeg format cannon says they're too big!

Here's a hint when doing drag & drop in Windows.  Use the RIGHT mouse button, instead of the left.  Why?  If you try it once, the reason will become obvious.  No more, "Oops, where did that go?"

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements