cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will DPP 4 be able to see the 64, 128, and 512 GB SanDisk SDHC memory cards?

Z_ol_mon
Apprentice

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

64GB SDXC works fine for me. Thats the largest I have. PC Version 4.2.32.

What camera do you have?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John

The camera I'm using is the 6TS which has no problem recording to the 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro. When removed from the camera and inserted into a PC reader, Windows 7 Ultimate wants to format the device. If I cancel out of this and launch DPP 4.1.32.0 it does not recognize the SDHC as having the correct file system. A 32GB SDHC works fine in camera, and with the DPP4 software (I shoot RAW format). The camera has REV 1 firmware and I suspect needs some upgrading. The last issue is that the windows viewer (for Canon RAW file format) also does not see the picture RAW file format.

(too new I think)

I wanted to try the newer SDHC because this camera shooting RAW gobbles up memory pretty fast. Being a newbee to this camera I am still playing with the WIFI interface.

Z_ol_mon

Maybe its the driver for your cardreader? I believe the cards >32GB use EXFAT while =<32GB use FAT32.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It's not so much as DPP4 not being able to use the card... it's the computer.   DPP simply sees the device as a disk.  Your computer can, of course, handle disks with filesystems several terabytes in size, so the size isn't the issue.

The computer needs to understand the filesystem on the card.  Smaller cards are formatted with FAT32 filesystems.  Large cards (anything bigger than 32GB)  are sometimes formatted with an exFAT filesystem to get around the limitations of FAT32 filesystems (such as not being able to have any single file larger than 4GB in a  FAT32 filesystem.)

Windows 7 should be able to deal with the exFAT filesystem.   But if Windows is complaining that it wants to format the device then that means it can't understand the filesystem format already on the card.  You'll need to deal with that problem and make sure your Windows 7 computer can deal with exFAT.

I use 16GB cards... lots of them.  I prefer to have more smaller capacity cards rather than fewer larger capacity cards.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements