cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to use in place of Image Browser??

raydunakin
Contributor

I know that Image Browser is really old and is no longer supported, but I've kept using it for two reasons:

1. I like the way I can browse all the images in a folder without having to actually open all of them in the app.

2. I like the fact that I can constrain cropping to a specific aspect ratio such as 4:3 or 16:9

I'm on a Mac, and I have Photoshop Elements as well as Preview. So far as I can tell, neither of these will let me do the two things listed above. Unfortunately, the latest OS X update has put Image Browser out of commission. So my question is, are there any other photo editing apps that can do what IB did? Most important to me is aspect ratio cropping; but I'd like to be able to browse images too, if possible.

Edit: Well, I just found out how to constrain the aspect ratio in PS Elements. Still would be nice to be able to browse pics without having to open them all.

5 REPLIES 5

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi raydunakin,

Thanks for posting!

This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any questions or problems they may encounter. So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model camera you are using.

We hope someone is able to help! However, if this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I just found out how to constrain the aspect ratio in PS Elements."

I was about to say that is easy with PSE but you found out how.  Why don't you want them to open? I prefer that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

When I have a folder with hundreds of photos, sometimes it's nice to just scroll through them and pick out which ones I want to edit, rather than have to open all of them.

@raydunakin wrote:

When I have a folder with hundreds of photos, sometimes it's nice to just scroll through them and pick out which ones I want to edit, rather than have to open all of them.

That sounds more like an issue with your Operating System, or how you use it, than the camera software.  I would think that you should be able to scroll through a folder of image files and be able to see previews without having to open them with an application.  

I use Windows 10, which allows to define a folder as “Images”, and it will generate previews of each file, instead of displaying file names.  But, these previews tend to be small, just big enough to see obvious bad exposures.  The OS does not generate previews with sufficient quality to observe nuances like focus quality.  

Even though I use Lightroom, sometimes I may want to browse folders looking for images to Import.  So, I use Canon’s DPP4 software to quickly browse through network folders without having to change current folder settings in LR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"When I have a folder with hundreds of photos,..."

I guess just a difference in preference. A typical shoot fo me can be 1500 to 2000 shots in a folder. This is where I do a rough delete by assigning a number and mass delete.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements