cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility stopped working with Catalina 10.15.7. [UPDATE: WORKING!]

schuss42
Contributor

Webcam beta was working fine yesterday, and my Mac decided it needed to reboot last night and update to 10.15.7.  

So I updated to the full release of webcam utlity, now I have new error icons but it still doesn't work at all with my EOS M200.

Now I get either one of the two error icons when trying to use webcam utility, usually the camera icon with a red warning triangle.  

I'm supposed to be presenting in less than 3 hours and this is a disaster 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just got off the phone with Canon support.  We got it working but don't know exactly why.... 

Here's the repro:

1. delete old files from Library folder

2. Reboot, shut off camera & disconnect both ends of USB

3. Install 1.0 webcam util

4. Reboot

5. Turn on camera

6. Plug USB into camera 

7. Open Hangouts Meet in Chrome

8. Choose EOS Webcam as the video source

- should see "disconnected USB" icon in webcam utility preview

- should see live view on camera's LCD

9. Plug USB into Mac

- should see live view on camera LCD flicker and return to live view

- should see live view in Hangouts Meet

10. If 9 doesn't work, unplug and replug USB into Mac, waiting a few minutes with it plugged in each time.  Mine seemed to take 2-3 minutes after being plugged in for the webcam utility to detect it was there.  

Thank you Bruce @ Canon hotline for your help!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

schuss42
Contributor

Further detail:

My camera no longer shows a live preview on the screen, just a black screen with the connected Computer icon, when the USB cable is plugged in.

I have tried:

Deleting the webcam utility from the Library/plugins folder and restarting.   Then installing it again and restarting.

Different USB cables, directly into my MBP or via a USB hub (note it's been working great with a USB hub for months on Beta)

I confirmed there is a Canon Camera showing up in the System Profiler as a USB device, even though the Webcam Utility 

Just got off the phone with Canon support.  We got it working but don't know exactly why.... 

Here's the repro:

1. delete old files from Library folder

2. Reboot, shut off camera & disconnect both ends of USB

3. Install 1.0 webcam util

4. Reboot

5. Turn on camera

6. Plug USB into camera 

7. Open Hangouts Meet in Chrome

8. Choose EOS Webcam as the video source

- should see "disconnected USB" icon in webcam utility preview

- should see live view on camera's LCD

9. Plug USB into Mac

- should see live view on camera LCD flicker and return to live view

- should see live view in Hangouts Meet

10. If 9 doesn't work, unplug and replug USB into Mac, waiting a few minutes with it plugged in each time.  Mine seemed to take 2-3 minutes after being plugged in for the webcam utility to detect it was there.  

Thank you Bruce @ Canon hotline for your help!

Hello!

Could you please share precisely what in the library had to be deleted? I can't hardly find folders or files related to Webcam utility. Thx for your help!

@Anto wrote:

Hello!

Could you please share precisely what in the library had to be deleted? I can't hardly find folders or files related to Webcam utility. Thx for your help!

I belive he mesnt that you can use the un installed that resides in you app folder...but i doubt this will work after you do it, cznon is again seducing us to domething new to grab our attention during the phasing out of the m50 cameras, Apple does it all the time and if it where not for greedy politicians taking bribes from china we would be buying quality innovative products instead of been extorted into buying new devices with little to nothing new because our old ones (example iphones ) clock out! Slowed down etc etc

Its march 2021 and nothing works mate

could it be a bug wity a canon m50?

Mathijsster
Apprentice

I did some digging to see what I could find as nothing was working for me either, which was weird given it already worked before. I finally managed to get it to work again by... taking out the SD card. Yes, really.

The computer seems to want to connect to the device's card even if you don't have EOS utilities installed, blocking all other connections (encountered on both Mac and Windows). Once I pulled out the card, waited a few second and hooked it back up, it works perfectly.

Hope it helps any other frustrated people! 

I have the same problem.  Not able to get the video webcam utility to work.  Tried changing cable, ports. Using a MAC.  Made sure the EOS utility is moved to thrash and it did not come up when I connected the camera.  Reinstalled the webcam driver. Have it set to movie mode. But no.. simply does not work.  For the video I get the "cannon webcam utility" with the warning red sign and on the screen on the camera get the "computer icon" instead of the live feed.  Really disappointed as I spent more than a thousand bucks specifically for using it as a webcam.PLEASE HELP CANNON!!

I encountered a simular issue. 

For a while the webcam utility worked fine. But since a month it has stopped working.

I am working on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Behavior (film mode):
 - With SD card inserted: black screen with icon/battery icon

- Without SD card inserted: regular image on back (camera mode) but video isn't being send to the computer (The EOS Webcam Utility disconnected screen is being shown on the mac)

I have tried it on MacOS Big Sur, where it did work fine. Sadly enough I can't upgrade because of campatibility issues with the acessibility function I am using.

Does anybody has any suggestions what the issue could be?

Announcements