cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility and setting aperture: how to stop down the camera?

davidswelt
Apprentice

When using Webcam Utility, how do I control the image?

It seems that the computer sees a preview image, at the widest possible aperture. I have set the mode to A, and using the button to stop down the aperture, I can temporarily get it to go down to whatever f stop I have set - though that of course isn't going to work as a webcam.

Similarly, I can't get autofocus tracking to work either. This would require pressing the shutter button half-way.

When setting to movie mode, autofocus tracks, but now the lens appears to be stopped fown to f16 or whatever is the smallest aperture possible. That's also not what I want.

How do I control the camera now? [edit: This is an EOS RP camera.]

(I'm using Webcam Utility on macOS, and EOS utility isn't installed.)

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, davidswelt!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Yes, that's a fair point. I'm using an EOS RP.

franzY
Apprentice

davidswelt
Apprentice

I'm going to make a suggestion how this could be implemented.

Webcam Utility always enables "Depth-of-Field Preview", a function that EOS Utility already offers. Users can then use the mode dial on the cameras to choose manual or automatic aperture. This would be consistent with other settings, such as exposure compensation, which already apply to the Webcam video feed.

Alternatively, allow saving profiles in EOS Utility, which could then be activated by Webcam Utility. If Depth-of-Field preview is chosen in EOS Utility (Live preview), then that would apply, too.

I think that the first of these is the simplest solution that would not require any UI changes, and it's really very intuitive to use the camera settings as they are designed.

Another tip if you find this (non-)discussion thread in need of a little more depth of focus than what a wide-open aperture affords.

Switching to Movie mode (mode dial) will allow continuous autofocus, even recognizing and tracking your face. This comes with a tradeoff: battery life.  In Manual Movie mode, you can choose aperture and expsure time, but then it seems to be fixed, so if the light changes, you'll have to re-adjust.

Announcements