cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFT FirewallSettings has stopped working

przemek
Apprentice

Hi I'm trying to synch my 6d with the EOS utility running on windows 8.1 64bit.

I'm getting:

WFT FirewallSettings has stopped working

error.jpg

I've tried to run it in Admin mode and  win 7 mode.. no sucess

19 REPLIES 19

Hi ...thanks....i've checked over all the links at the bottom and they all seem to relate to windows 7 and below .....and an older version of EOS utility which have options like preferences ..the new EOS utility literally has one point to click and that is "connect camera " if there was anyway of going into actual settings in the EOS utility as with the articles you posted i might have a hope...but i[ve tried turning off firewall completely but still nothing ....i've downloaded older EOS utility packs and (not being particularlt tech savy) am worried that i'm now turning things on and off that i have no idea whether i'm doing more harm than good.I'm a photographer not a computer geek.Surely so many people shouldn't have this problem as far back as 2014 and there still not be a fix !! From the videos on Youtube i assumed it would be turn on connect go out shooting !! Even the connection with a cable seems hit and miss.

@badgerboy wrote:

Hi ...thanks....i've checked over all the links at the bottom and they all seem to relate to windows 7 and below .....and an older version of EOS utility which have options like preferences ..the new EOS utility literally has one point to click and that is "connect camera " if there was anyway of going into actual settings in the EOS utility as with the articles you posted i might have a hope...but i[ve tried turning off firewall completely but still nothing ....i've downloaded older EOS utility packs and (not being particularlt tech savy) am worried that i'm now turning things on and off that i have no idea whether i'm doing more harm than good.I'm a photographer not a computer geek.Surely so many people shouldn't have this problem as far back as 2014 and there still not be a fix !! From the videos on Youtube i assumed it would be turn on connect go out shooting !! Even the connection with a cable seems hit and miss.

On the face of it, this sounds like a Windows permissions issue. One would need to have the appropriate permissions to turn Windows firewall settings on and off. Maybe the software itself needs to run with an elevated permission level.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

thetruthissad
Apprentice

Moderators, or whoever cares,

why is this so difficult? This problem is a pain in the a## for so many years. The windows firewall blocks the eos utility from connecting to the cam. The one and only WFT FirewallSettings.exe does not work and nobody at Canon cares.

You (Canon) are either ignorants or complete morons.

The solution to this problem is in your hands. It is very easy to solve. And nobody has addressed it although a lot of people have complained over the years in many different forums, just google it.

It is so unspeakable pathetic. I just bought a 5d mark iv and I am not able to connect to the utility because canon is just to lazy or ignorant to tell how we have to configure the firewall. Because that's the only point. I can switch off the firewall and everything works fine. So instead of providing a firewallsettingstool that does nothing just write the rules down for us would you?

We can do it better and faster ourselfs.

I have never seen a more complicated pairing process between wifi devices than the one Canon has implemented here with an incredible bad setup.Both in camara and apps and eos utility there is nothing but bad programming. That alone would fill a novel for itself.

But letting such a basic problem smolder for so many says everything about Canon.

If anyone who is affiliated to Canon reads this I can only ask him to stand up and do a phone call or write an email to those who are responsible for this desaster and tell them to come forward. Three lines of text and hundrets of frustrated customers are able to work with their camera and computer as it should be.

badgerboy
Contributor
Absolutely spot on mate....I've been in contact with Canon and they basically sent me a download of the user manual explaining how the connection "should" work ie the same instructions the camera gives you in the first place,I sent them back screen shots of the normal wft firewall blah blah and they came back saying oh well it must be a windows problem contact Microsoft we can't help....the laptop I want to use Is windows 8 (64) and I now just use a cable with it ,my other laptop running Windows 10 has no problem with the utility or connection at all .there's probably just a simple tweak needed in the utility for previous versions of Windows...but can canon be bothered ??? Unfortunately I bothered to spend 1000€ on a new camera especially for its connectivity.

thetruthissad
Apprentice
I am on Windows 10.

thetruthissad
Apprentice
O have set all exe files of the utility to be free to do what they want in my firewall settings. Still not working. Only if I shut down the firewall. Insane

badgerboy
Contributor
With my windows 8 it makes no difference if I turn the firewall off still no connection

thetruthissad
Apprentice
As I said, the pairing process is as bad as it gets.
As good as Canon is in making cameras they have no clue whatsoever about the whole connection stuff and making it smooth, logical or reliable.

Hey,

Follow these steps please :

> In the search bar of the Windows Taskbar type : Firewall

> Click on "Allow an app through Windows Firewall"

firewall-canon.jpg

> Click on "Change settings" button

firewall-canon2.jpg

> Click on "Allow another app..." button

firewall-canon3.jpg

> Click on "Browse..." button

firewall-canon4.jpg

> Browse to this path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\ and choose "EOSUPNPSV.exe" file

firewall-canon5.jpg

> Check both "Private" and "Public" for the "Canon EOS UPNP Detector"

firewall-canon6.jpg

> Click on "Ok"

firewall-canon7.jpg

Best

Lynx

I just registered this account to give you command. Finally someone can tell how to change the firewall setting by hand.

thank you!

Announcements