cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Webcam Utility DOES NOT WORK with Mac M1 running Big Sur versions past 11.0

reeceguida
Apprentice

I want to save others the trouble: Webcam Utility will ONLY work for Mac M1 (AKA the 2020 models that don't have the Intel Chips) running Big Sur 11.0. Stop searching for a fix because there isn't one.

Canon: is adding support for this on your Webcam Utility roadmap? Can you PLEASE post a fix to your software? My only option is to revert back to Big Sur 11.0, and I can't do that because I don't have a backup.

I was so excited to use this beautiful camera for work/streaming and now I feel like I just put money in a paper shredder. I will glady return it for another if there's no promise of a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CNSPRAYB
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I checked reddit to see if others had this problem.  The suggestion I received was to download the version of zoom designed for intel macs.  When I did this the new zoom program instantly recognized EOS Webcam Utility.  I don't know what program you were trying to use your camera for, but this fixed my issue.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

@nussi wrote:

Hey Guys

Since i Switched from Windows HP Device to MAC M1 Silicon with Big Sur 11.4 i cannot use my 6D with the ESO Webcam Utility anymore.

Can i subscribe somehow to get notified once this is availlable?

Thanks,

Tim

I say keep checking back.  Canon, and other manufacturers; stay up-to-date with MS Windows, but not with Apple for some reason.  Despite previous rants, the issue of trying to keep up with Apple is not unique to Canaon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

robtain
Contributor
My friend, this is way off topic and certainly not relevant in answering the original question. Certainly it may be more difficult for small developers to keep multiple platforms up to date, but Canon is a huge corporation and many creative people use Macs. To not update drivers and software in a timely manner is a disservice to customers.

@robtain wrote:
My friend, this is way off topic and certainly not relevant in answering the original question. Certainly it may be more difficult for small developers to keep multiple platforms up to date, but Canon is a huge corporation and many creative people use Macs. To not update drivers and software in a timely manner is a disservice to customers.

Look around. Every other camera manufacturer is in the same boat.  An Apple update not only broke their software, but now you need to develop for an entirely new hardware platform.  Now your development team needs to go to Apple school to get trained and certified on the new platform.

Breaking the existing codebase is a major no-no.  But, Apple does it routinely.

Yet again you seem to be misinformed about developing for Apple products. The change to Apple Silicon required no such “Apple school” - most of them required a simple recompile as a bare minimum and with a bit of effort could be improved by the switch by making use of publicly available API’s which they probably should have been using anyway. 

robtain
Contributor
You’re entitled to your opinion, Waddizzle, but this is a support board. Your anti-Apple rants help absolutely no-one.

Thank you to those who recommended Cascable. I’m trying it out. I haven’t been able to get it to work with my EOS 60D yet, but I’ve been in contact with their support and they were very responsive.

@robtain wrote:
You’re entitled to your opinion, Waddizzle, but this is a support board. Your anti-Apple rants help absolutely no-one.

Thank you to those who recommended Cascable. I’m trying it out. I haven’t been able to get it to work with my EOS 60D yet, but I’ve been in contact with their support and they were very responsive.

I suggest that you look in the mirror and listen your anti-Canon rants.  

All that I have been saying is don't be so quick to blame Canon.  Many companies are having similar issues with Apple.  If everyone is having the same problem with the same company, where do you think the problem lies?

@If everyone is having the same problem with the same company, where do you think the problem lies?"

NOT Everyone. The company’s in trouble with macOS Updates are mostly hardware companies, who offer a software to go with their hardware. Their main priority is their hardware and the often do not care if the software they delivered at a certain point, will work on later updates too. No matter if mac or win. I never experienced or heard of any major issues with developer companies who sell their software as their main product. They usually don’t go cheap on software development 😉 

Adobe Creative Suite or MS Office worked flawless since day one on the M1 with Rosetta 2, like nearly everything and were mostly updated to M1 since. The only one with huge problems are the hardware companies - cameras, printers, sound interfaces etc (while i must state, that my 10Year old Focusrite interfaces still works on the M1 without any issues). 

And yes - apple does often cut old library’s eg - but if they do, they mark them as vintage years ahead. It’s not their fault, if developers do not switch to the new ones, while apple is telling them for years they will be cut in some future update in the YEARS ahead! 

And for the ARM Switch: Its so effing easy to recompile software for M1. 

BTW: You can download XCode with everything included FOR FREE! You can develop for free! The Kernel is mostly even open Source. The only fee you have to pay is if u want your software to be distributed via  the Mac App Store or want it to be signed - both are not necessary but handy. But since Canon has Apps in the iOS App Store, they probably DO have a development account anyway.

You only need to be a paid developer, if u want the early excess to development tools for not yet publicly released OS Updates. But Big Sur is now out for long enough to have an update ready even without that. I mean at last - every other canon software i have in use, or just happened to test, is working normally either as an universal app or via Rosetta 2. Only the Webcam Utility does not. It was never updated in any form since it released. And it never really worked perfect - no matter what platform. 

So what’s the problem with webcam utility on macOS? I really don’t get it. I can get an Liveview image from my EOS in the Canon iOS Software without a problem. Wireless. So since iPhone and Mac are now on the same Hardware platform - what’s the deal? They do have the code base for transferring the liveview onto an apple system. The difference between coding for iOS and macOS are getting fewer and fewer, while of course the GUI remains different. They just DON’T DO IT. 

I've used Cascable based on a reco here and it's been fantastic with my M1 and R5. Hope they get it working with your model.

aut0maticdan
Apprentice

Come on already!!!  I'm so tired of running zoom in rosetta and having poor performance and warnings that I should update!  I also would like to be able to use my camera in slack and the browser.

This is all nonsense about developing for Apple.  Apple is easy to develop for and on the Mac you don't need to use the app store (that is only required for iOS).  If Canon needs to get their software signed by Apple, that takes a week, maximum (these days often much quicker).  

Besides!  Nikon updated their utility for m1 in mid December, so all points are moot.  Don't make me set up my z6 again, Canon!  I want to sell it so I can buy more items from you.  All the utilities need some polish for the new apple hardware and full r5 support.  M1s have been out a long time now and new Pro versions are on the horizon.  The R5 has been out a while now.  Canon nees to up their software dev team yesterday.

Even Adobe has updated their full suite by now.  SMH.

As already pointed out, it's up to Canon to get serious about software development.   Apple for ages has made developer versions and later public betas of every single OS.

Last year, they announced the developer transition kit for Apple Silicon (custom Mac mini) that developers could acquire to start porting their software to.

WWDC for the past several years now has even been free to those not phyisically attending (I watch the yearly set of videos as they are made available for anything that would be relevant to my software).  During the most recent WWDCs, Apple software engineers have been on-hand for help sessions to get past any sticking points.  Along with developer technical support (two free incidents per year included with the developer program), there's a very decent amount of support.

Now then, as with any software company, Apple's software may indeed have bugs.  Especially in the early development builds.  But, that's a great time to catch bugs in your own software too; far before the OS makes its way to the public.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements