cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Webcam Utility DOES NOT WORK with Mac M1 running Big Sur versions past 11.0

reeceguida
Apprentice

I want to save others the trouble: Webcam Utility will ONLY work for Mac M1 (AKA the 2020 models that don't have the Intel Chips) running Big Sur 11.0. Stop searching for a fix because there isn't one.

Canon: is adding support for this on your Webcam Utility roadmap? Can you PLEASE post a fix to your software? My only option is to revert back to Big Sur 11.0, and I can't do that because I don't have a backup.

I was so excited to use this beautiful camera for work/streaming and now I feel like I just put money in a paper shredder. I will glady return it for another if there's no promise of a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CNSPRAYB
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I checked reddit to see if others had this problem.  The suggestion I received was to download the version of zoom designed for intel macs.  When I did this the new zoom program instantly recognized EOS Webcam Utility.  I don't know what program you were trying to use your camera for, but this fixed my issue.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Since it is only supported up to Catalina, consider yourself lucky it works with Big Sur at all.

That's incorrect. Yes, I know it's posted here but a Canon support team representative says it works with Big Sur 11.0.

Either way, Canon 1) doesn't have its facts straight and 2) isn't keeping up with the technology. 

Not my problem. Just trying to help others here who were doing their due diligence and didn't figure it out!

@reeceguida wrote:

That's incorrect. Yes, I know it's posted here but a Canon support team representative says it works with Big Sur 11.0.

Either way, Canon 1) doesn't have its facts straight and 2) isn't keeping up with the technology. 

Not my problem. Just trying to help others here who were doing their due diligence and didn't figure it out!

Welcome to Apple's world.  This is how Apple does business.  Every OS update breaks the code base.  They call it security.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah. I work in cybersecurity, and truly believe in the value of software updates protecting users against vulnerabilities. This issue seems to be on Canon IMO. Couldn't they just update their WCU software so its compatible with the latest Mac and Windows releases? Otherwise they're just irrelevent.

@reeceguida wrote:

Yeah. I work in cybersecurity, and truly believe in the value of software updates protecting users against vulnerabilities. This issue seems to be on Canon IMO. Couldn't they just update their WCU software so its compatible with the latest Mac and Windows releases? Otherwise they're just irrelevent.

If you work in cyber security, then you should understand what a major crime it is to update your OS and break the code base.

BTW, it isn ot just Canon.  Apple OS updates break a LOT of apps.  When Microsoft updates Windows, nothing breaks.  When Apple updates MacOS or iOS, everything breaks.  

Feel free to blame to Canon, if you so wish.  Apple has done this for years.  It isn't anything nw.  Apple breaks apps from Adobe, Sony, Nikon, and all of the major players in the photo business, as well as other market segments and demographics.

Well, hang on until Windows switches to 64 bit only! Then there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Though I will admit, this is one place where Microsoft outshines Apple.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Well, hang on until Windows switches to 64 bit only! Then there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Though I will admit, this is one place where Microsoft outshines Apple.

It already has switched to 64-bit only.  All of the native Windows 10 machines for sale have all been 64-bit CPUs for a several years.  The only 32-bit Windows 10 machines are those free upgrades from Windows 7/8, and most of those are already being phased out of service because they still run Windows 7/8 under the hood.

Apple OS updates break a LOT of apps.  When Microsoft updates Windows, nothing breaks.  When Apple updates MacOS or iOS, everything breaks.  

Either you are out of your elemnt or your bias is showing. When Apple previws an OS in beta for 8 months before release, what do you think is happening? They are allowing developers to get their code up to the new standard. It's funny that you blame Apple for updating software when you get that kind of lead time. Your constant stream of misinformation is laughable. 

Are you serious? This is 100% Canon's fault. Millions of the best videographers and photographers use Apple Macs as their computer of choice. Apple announced their change to Apple Silicon months ago, and create a developer kit that makes it relatively simple to update existing software to work with what will be, literally, the future of Macintosh computing. The vast majority of Apple macOS software updates don't "break the codebase" for software that was developed properly for macOS. 

Canon, I hope you are monitoriing this and understand how massively frustrating it is that you STILL haven't updated the EOS Webcam utility to work with M1 Macs on Big Sur. Please do this ASAP! If you don't communicate something about how this software update will be available soon, then you are forcing my hand to make the decision to switch ALL my camera gear to Sony. Please be the camera company we all want and need you to be and update EOS Webcam to work with Apple Silicon Macs. 

Announcements