cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utility 3 stopped working on Windows 10 after many months of use.

Mr_Angry
Apprentice

Windows unable to provide solution.

Have noted comments from others where they have disconnected all USB devices.

Did not work for me.

Anybody have any other workaround?

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Re-install?

Sorry, did not explain that bit.

Have re-installed Utility 2, Utility 3.0, Utility 3.3 "many" times !!!!

Always the same

Startup screen then nanoseconds later "EOS Utility (3) has stopped working"

then into the usual windows will check etc etc

@Mr_Angry wrote:

Sorry, did not explain that bit.

Have re-installed Utility 2, Utility 3.0, Utility 3.3 "many" times !!!!

Always the same

Startup screen then nanoseconds later "EOS Utility (3) has stopped working"

then into the usual windows will check etc etc

Is the camera one that isn't supported by EOSU 3? If so, maybe the problem is in the handoff from EOSU 3 to EOSU 2. The newest EOSU 3 installer will install EOSU 2 at the same time, so you might try doing a unified install from scratch.

Also, make sure your Windows 10 computer has automatic updates turned on. You may be missing the latest .NET release or something.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I have a Canon EOS 5d Mk 4. Eos utility 3 was working fine then got the same experience and messages. I also uninstalled, re-downloaded the utility, re-installed and still get the same  result. The only message I get is that the utility is already running and needs to be closed. If I go to windows task manager, the 32 bit utility process is indeed still running but if I end the process and re-connect my camera I still get the same dopey failure to run.

I've tried so many things and still to no avail. I want to call a Canon Rep, but know that I will be on the phone for god knows how long. I only use the utility to download my images easily. If I have to, I guess that I will go get a memory card reader and suck it up.

@Dom_79 wrote:

I've tried so many things and still to no avail. I want to call a Canon Rep, but know that I will be on the phone for god knows how long. I only use the utility to download my images easily. If I have to, I guess that I will go get a memory card reader and suck it up.

A card reader is more convenient and doesn'r run down you camera's battery. If that's all you're using EOSU for, you should definitely make that switch.

That said, EOSU does work with Windows 10 if you have it set up right. It's worked for me through two major Windows 10 updates and countless minor ones.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Dom_79!

If a specific workflow is important to you, and you think calling can help get it resolved, then by all means, give our team a call! We're available from 8am to Midnight (ET), right here in the USA, 100% free (as in cost you zero dollars), and are happy to help figure out what might be happening. 

The number for support is 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

Announcements