cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DPP to process non-Canon sgot photos?

Allsop
Apprentice

Is it possible that I can get DPP to process photos shot on cameras other than Canon? My second shooter uses a Lumix and I would like to be able to process the photos in DPP.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Not possible in RAW. Limited jpg.  Get Lightroom and be happy. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Allsop wrote:

Is it possible that I can get DPP to process photos shot on cameras other than Canon? My second shooter uses a Lumix and I would like to be able to process the photos in DPP.

"My second shooter uses a Lumix"?? Man, if I were in your shoes, my second shooter would use whatever I told him/her to use. As in, "Take this 7D, and make sure you know how to use it when you show up for the shoot on Saturday." Why on earth would it be otherwise?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

As Ernie points out, Canon DPP is it's ability to let you shoot in RAW and then process those images.  To do this, a key feature of the software is it's ability to decode the Canon RAW files.  

Every camera (and every camera model) has a different RAW format.  RAW is really more of a concept than a specific standard.  This means the Canon DPP software that can decode the RAW out of nearly any Canon camera, cannot decode RAW files from non-Canon cameras.

I wouldn't shoot in any type of professional capacity and now use RAW (JPEG files have limited adjustment latitude due to the lossy-compression feature of JPEG and how that can result in loss of detail that can never be recovered.)

Adobe Lightroom has the ability to decode RAW files from most cameras (certainly most popular cameras.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements