cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DPP 4 with G16 and can't get raw to batch convert.

rocketmann
Contributor

DPP 4 fails to convert raw to Tiff and gives error message on all raw files. First time Ive had this problem. Using USB card reader as transfer from direct transfer of image files from camera to computer is currently not supported for OS 10.12.1. Any thoughts? Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rocketmann wrote:

DPP 4 fails to convert raw to Tiff and gives error message on all raw files. First time Ive had this problem. Using USB card reader as transfer from direct transfer of image files from camera to computer is currently not supported for OS 10.12.1. Any thoughts? Thanks!

What is the error message?  Apple's OS release has wreaked havoc for many manufacturers.  Canon has been working furiously to update applications, of which there are many, especially printer drivers.   

Many update have been released, and more to come.  You might check the Canon web site for an updated version of DPP4.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rocketmann wrote:

What is the error message?  Apple's OS release has wreaked havoc for many manufacturers.  Canon has been working furiously to update applications, of which there are many, especially printer drivers.   

Many update have been released, and more to come.  You might check the Canon web site for an updated version of DPP4.

Every time I read one of these sorrowful tales of woe, I'm even more glad that I don't rely on Apple equipment. DPP4 on Windows 10 is as slow as the arrival of spring, but at least it does work. I get barked at whenever I suggest that the answer is to buy a Windows computer, but it remains a way to solve the problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rocketmann wrote:

Every time I read one of these sorrowful tales of woe, I'm even more glad that I don't rely on Apple equipment. DPP4 on Windows 10 is as slow as the arrival of spring, but at least it does work. I get barked at whenever I suggest that the answer is to buy a Windows computer, but it remains a way to solve the problem.

There certainly isn't any reason to believe that this is in any way related to macOS (or the latest os version/update).  

I would like to (gently) point out that this happens on the forums from time to time when a well-meaning member of the community does not have expertise on a platform and (unfortunately) blames the "unkown" for the problem.    It would be better to suggest some general things to check but hold off on commenting specifics and suggest that perhaps a person (a mac user for example) might be able to offer more specific suggestions to try -- rather than just blaming the platform.

I'm running two different Macs... both running macOS Sierra 10.12 and Canon's latest software versions.  Everything is working correctly.

There is likely some missing information.  (I've learned that when things don't make sense... we are probably missing some information.)

I do not own a G16... so I'm testing this using my 5D Mk IV.

I shot a RAW image with the camera, connected the camera via USB to the Mac and then launched EOS Utility (very important... DPP does not transfer images from cameras ... EOS Utility does that.  DPP is only used to process adjustments on images after they've been transfered to your computer.)  This works fine with the latest macOS.  I did this test special since it was mentioned that directly transfering images from camera to a mac running macOS Sierra "isn't supported" (it is supported and I wanted to prove that point by doing it.)  Normally my own method for transfer is to use a card reader.

After the import, I then go into DPP 4 and converted the RAW to a TIFF... which also works fine.

While I cannot say that there isn't any unique to the G16 which would allow this whole process to work correctly for one Canon camera, but not for another... that's somewhat unlikely (especially since the G16 is a somewhat recent camera.  It might be different if this was an extremely old camera that might be considered beyond it's support lifetime.)

Do you have any other Canon cameras besides the G16 (if so have you checked them?)

Is your filesystem full?  Are there an excessive number of open programs?  How much RAM do you have? 

When you perform a conversion, "Digital Photo Professional" will normally launch a 2nd program named "Digital Photo Professional Batch" to handle the conversion.  On your Mac's dock, you'll normally see that 2nd icon when "batch" launches.  Are you seeing that 2nd program launch?  (If there's an issue blocking DPP4 Batch from launching (which it wont do until you kick off the conversions) then the error maybe related to that.

One item you might check... you have the option of blocking software from running if it is not from a trusted source.  If you go into System Preferences -> Secuiry -> General category... you'll see a section that reads "Allow apps downloaded from:" with two choices... one being "App Store" and the other being "App Store and identified developers".  Since you did not download this from the App Store (you get the software direct from Canon) make sure you pick the category that says "App Store and identified developers".  

Once the program has been successully launched and run one time it will "remember" that and you can swtich back to "App Store" only (if that is your preference).

You can also test to make sure that DPP4 Batch can, in fact, be launched on your mac. 

To do this:

1. Open Finder and navigate to your "Applications" folder.
  2. Within that folder find the "Canon Utilities" folder and open it.
  3. Within that folder find the "Digital Photo Professional 4" folder and open it.
  4. RIght-click the mouse on the "Digital Photo Profession 4" icon to expose the pop-up context menu.
  5. Select "Show Package Contents" from that pop-up menu.  This will reveal a folder structure hiding inside the application (the "Digital Photo Professional 4" application is technically a "package" which contains other things inside it.)
  6. Open the "Contents" folder. 
  7. Within that folder open the "Applications" folder.
  8. Within that folder double-click the "Digital Photo Professional 4 Batch" application and make sure it can start.

You might be wondering why this is all hidden...   it's because all of this is bundled together as part of DPP and normally you would never launch DPP4 Batch directly... it would always get kicked off by DPP4 when you do a conversion.  So there's normally no reason to have to find and launch these things manually.

When you launch DPP4 Batch, you'll notice the icon for it in your dock and you'll also notice the menubar at the top of the screen shows that you're in "Digital Photo Professional 4 Batch".  However you will NOT see any other window (normally nothing is displayed unless a conversion is in progress and then you only see a window showing a progress bar.  As you aren't actually converting anything you wont see this window with a progress bar.  As long as you can launch DPP4 Batch without getting an error message, you're probably fine.  But if you DO get an error message, then let us know what that is.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Error message reads: "An error occurred." It gives the file name of RAW then an arrow pointing to file name Tiff.

@rocketmann wrote:

Error message reads: "An error occurred." It gives the file name of RAW then an arrow pointing to file name Tiff.

I'm sorry, but  I'm not following you because a "TIFF" file is not considered to be a RAW image file. 

Can you post the exact steps you take [including the equipment used, and computer OS version] to reproduce your issue?

rocketmann
Contributor
Sorry for the confussion. Running mid 2011 iMac with OS 12.0.1. Canon G16 shooting in RAW and converting to TIFF via ADPP 4. Importing RAW files into DPP via card reader in USB port. Selecting images and clicking Select All and from pull down menu under File, selecting Batch processing. Chose TIFF and folder where images will go. Processing window.opens and scrolls thru all images and lists them all as An Error Occurred and shows what I attempted to do, RAW to TIFF. Has been working fine until this conversion attempt. I can convert single files but not batch. I've tried 2 different cards and have the same issue. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks for your time and any help you can offer.

@rocketmann wrote:
Sorry for the confussion. Running mid 2011 iMac with OS 12.0.1. Canon G16 shooting in RAW and converting to TIFF via ADPP 4. Importing RAW files into DPP via card reader in USB port. Selecting images and clicking Select All and from pull down menu under File, selecting Batch processing. Chose TIFF and folder where images will go. Processing window.opens and scrolls thru all images and lists them all as An Error Occurred and shows what I attempted to do, RAW to TIFF. Has been working fine until this conversion attempt. I can convert single files but not batch. I've tried 2 different cards and have the same issue. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks for your time and any help you can offer.

I've encountered a somewhat similar issue with DPP4 when trying to download lens profiles under Windows 10.  I could download one profile just fine, but not multiple profiles.  I updated DPP4, and that problem went away.  I suggest checking DPP4 for updates.

rocketmann
Contributor
Canon AU has an update for Windows, but 4 is the latest for OS X.

@rocketmann wrote:
Canon AU has an update for Windows, but 4 is the latest for OS X.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

The latest version of DPP4 for the Powershot G16 is version 4.5.10 dated 10/25/2016.

Announcements