cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to EOS 6D and 6D Mk II Firmware hung up in loading

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

During a firmware update to two EOS 6D cameras and two EOS 6D Mk II camera bodies, the camera displayed only a single word "Loading" on the camera's LCD screen and remained that way until the battery was exhausted.  At that point, I turned the camera OFF, inserted a fully-charged battery, and the firmware updated normally.  (One memory card was used to update the two 6D cameras' firmware; a different SD memory card was used to update the two 6D Mk II cameras' firmware.)

What gives?  Any ideas?  If it makes any difference, I utilize a MacBook for downloading and had selected the [Mac OS X] version of the firmware for updating the two cameras.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there,

That definitely sounds strange, but if the firmware updated successfully afterward it is not likely a critical error. My best guess is that there was some kind of communcation issue, either via the USB cable if you updated through EOS Utility or with the SD memory card. This can especially be the case if you use very large capacity SDXC cards like 256GB since the formatting of those cards is a little different from something like a 64GB or 32GB SD card.

I was using a 64 Gb SD chip with the software loaded from my MacBook: after the first incident, I formatted the SD card, double-checked that I had the correct version of firmware selected, downloaded the file, extracted it — and had the exact same experience.  I had a battery grip (with fresh-charged batteries) attachée to the camera so it was a bit unsettling to have the "loading" problem occur once again.  As before, after the batteries both ran out of power, the camera shut down and in replacing the two batteries, the download process began normally once the camera was powered.

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
Announcements