cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two issues - Auto Rotate and Image Resize

jaxhouse
Apprentice

Ok,  I just upgraded computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and upgraded Digital Photo Professional from 3.?? to 4.5.10.1.  I shoot primarily a 7D Mark 2.  My photos do not auto rotate in both the computer or DPP.  I have the camera set to auto rotate in the "computer only".  Before the uprade my photos did not auto rotate in the computer but did in DPP so it wasn't that big of an issue.

Second issue - I always choose to batch process images and resize so the final images are all the same size.  Before the upgrade images would resize based on the long side but now all the vertical images end up being distorted so apparently they are not resized based on the long side.

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

4 REPLIES 4

@jaxhouse wrote:

Ok,  I just upgraded computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and upgraded Digital Photo Professional from 3.?? to 4.5.10.1.  I shoot primarily a 7D Mark 2.  My photos do not auto rotate in both the computer or DPP.  I have the camera set to auto rotate in the "computer only".  Before the uprade my photos did not auto rotate in the computer but did in DPP so it wasn't that big of an issue.

Second issue - I always choose to batch process images and resize so the final images are all the same size.  Before the upgrade images would resize based on the long side but now all the vertical images end up being distorted so apparently they are not resized based on the long side.

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

Off the top of my head, I have no insight into your first issue. But with regard to the second, when setting up convert and save or batch process, there's a box you can check to preserve the aspect ratio. That should cure the distortions.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, I'm aware of checking to preserve the aspect ratio but with my other computer and previous version of DPP it resized based on the long side, regardless if it was in landscape or portrait. 😞

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I mostly don't bother with rotation, and disable it in the camera. 

Here's why.  Let's supposed I shoot in portrait, and want the photo rotated.  Okay, I rotate the photo for editing, and perform my edits.  Now, when I get ready to print it out again, guess what happens.  I wind up rotating the photo when I send it to the prnter, because the printer defaults to landscape.

Besides, I've got bad eyes, and rotating a photo seems to shrink it dramatically on the computer screen.  It's easier for me just to edit the photo on its' side, and then print it that way.  Sure, I'll rotate it to look at it, but if I plan on printing it out, then I usually do not rotate the image.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The problem is that I shoot a lot of sports and it is nothing to come home from a football game, for example, with 900 photos...some shot in landscape and some in portrait. The two issues that I spoke of will be a real time killer for me. 😞
Announcements