cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 The camera was disconnected during downloading in EOS Utility

Windsun33
Contributor

Has anyone ever come up with a real solution for this error from the Windows 10 version of EOS Utility? Happens with my R5 and all the latest camera and computer updates. Tethered, using the Canon R5 supplied USB-C cable on the computers power port.

This is apparently NOT a new problem - did some searching and there are posts about it going back as far as 2010. How many images it will download before the error occurs varies - sometimes just 2 or 3, ocassionally as many as 20 - but it invariably gets the error at some point.

And yes I know I can just take the cards out and plug into PC, but that is just a work around. BTW, same problem with my 6DMk2, so not just the R5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This doesn’t work.  I had 410 images to download and couldn’t get more to transfer in the EOS utility, Windows File Manager or Lightroom Classic. Even after applying this ‘fix’. The solution is to get an external CF Express card reader.  This also saves wear and tear in the camera’s USB port.  Perhaps a future firmware update will fix it, but this seems to be an actual bug in the camera.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There are hardware and software prerequisites for the Canon software.  Simply running Windows 10 does not fully meet the requirements.  One commonly overlooked requirement is an Intel chipset.  Another is using a USB port expander.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have all that.

@Windsun33 wrote:
I have all that.

What exactly does that mean?  If you are using a USB port expander, then that is probably the issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I connected the cable to my camera and a notebook.   Fired up EOS utlity. Select images to download and hit enter.   I was getting the message after downloading 10-20 images.  I clicked on preferences -> basic settings and untick automatically display quick preview window. It seems to work as I downloaded the whole set of 35 images (raw and jpeg),

Canon utility.png

This doesn’t work.  I had 410 images to download and couldn’t get more to transfer in the EOS utility, Windows File Manager or Lightroom Classic. Even after applying this ‘fix’. The solution is to get an external CF Express card reader.  This also saves wear and tear in the camera’s USB port.  Perhaps a future firmware update will fix it, but this seems to be an actual bug in the camera.

That didn’t work for me.  I bought a CF Express external card reader.

Davidblais
Apprentice

Turn off auto shut down under Power Saving in settings. It defaults to 1 minute 

That’s never been necessary with other Canon cameras. This might work but it shouldn’t be needed.

It does work, but even so it still disconnects after the 30 minute maximum for display shut down so you would have to set a timer and tap the shutter button before that lapsed. Find a card reader is the better way to go because it’s also faster but this is the solution to the original issue at hand

Announcements