cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethered; saving both in camera & laptop? EOS Utility 3

archfotos
Contributor

Updated to Eos Utility 3 on a Mac 10.9.4 using either a 5d or 6d with a USB cord.  I can' find where in EOS Utility I can set it to record the file both to the laptop as well as in camera cards(CF or SD)?  There is not the normal check box under Remote Shooting in the preferences .

Second question,  I've been using EOS Utility linked with DPP for tethered shooting for many years but really seem lost with these  new versions are there any updated online video tutorials that someone can point me towards?

thanks,  jeff

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tim
Authority

Hello Archfotos,

Of the many options available when shooting tethered with (compatible) cameras, the save to card option is not present.  Images are saved to your computer's memory.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

@archfotos wrote:

Hi Bob, thank you for that insight that would be awsome!  I only have full frame cameras any idea how one goes about making Eos Utility 3 to launch version 2? I sure wish there were some of Canon's super helpful video tutorials on this subject for software-challenged people like me.

I'm looking at a Windows 8 computer as I write this, but I think it would be the same for Windows 7.

If the EU Launcher sees that you're using a FF camera, I think it will call Version 3 by default. So you just don't go there.

In the folder where the installer puts the EOS Utility, there are two subfolders, EU2 and EU3. In EU2, open "EOS Utility 2.exe". Once you're sure it does what you want, you can make a separate shortcut for it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Jeff,  just get Lightroom. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Jeff,  just get Lightroom. Smiley Happy

Well that's great advice. He may well have Lightroom, and choose not to use it for tethered shooting.  Lightroom takes an eternity to display the pictures while shooting tethered.  Maybe it doesn't bother you, but I find it unuseable.  EOS Utility is night and day difference.

Jeff: It's funny you mention this, because I was just trying to set it up the other day, but I was in a hurry and gave up to do the shoot.  I haven't toyed with 3.0 much yet.  I couldn't find anything online, but I'd like to think that Canon wouldn't remove this feature.  Not sure if I'll have time to pull out my camera and try tonight, but I'll poke around and see if I can find anything. 

archfotos
Contributor

Anyone know this simple answer? please.

Are there Canon Techs that browse this board - I know it's a simple question but I just can not figure out how to have the file saved on both the laptop as well as the Camera's card simultaneously using Eos Utiltiy 3

any help would be very appreciated  (except suggestions for other software)

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi archfotos!

Welcome to the Canon Forums! The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is of an urgent nature, please feel free to CONTACT US either by phone during business hours or email 24 hours a day!

Tim
Authority

Hello Archfotos,

Of the many options available when shooting tethered with (compatible) cameras, the save to card option is not present.  Images are saved to your computer's memory.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your response.  I truly do appreciate it - at least now I can quit looking and hopefully remove this update and reinstall Version 2

So "Updated" Eos Utility 3 you've removed a vital feature of being able to have a redundant backup of files when shooting tethered? Why in the world would you remove this critical feature?

@archfotos wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I truly do appreciate it - at least now I can quit looking and hopefully remove this update and reinstall Version 2

So "Updated" Eos Utility 3 you've removed a vital feature of being able to have a redundant backup of files when shooting tethered? Why in the world would you remove this critical feature?

The installation process for version 3 includes an installation of version 2. (This is made especially clear in the R2 version of the version 3 installer.) This is done because version 3 hands you off to version 2 if the camera you're using isn't a FF. So you shouldn't have to reinstall version 2 unless its latest version also has the "Save to card" feature removed.

Bob

Hi Bob, thank you for that insight that would be awsome!  I only have full frame cameras any idea how one goes about making Eos Utility 3 to launch version 2? I sure wish there were some of Canon's super helpful video tutorials on this subject for software-challenged people like me.

@archfotos wrote:

I'm looking at a Windows 8 computer as I write this, but I think it would be the same for Windows 7.

If the EU Launcher sees that you're using a FF camera, I think it will call Version 3 by default. So you just don't go there.

In the folder where the installer puts the EOS Utility, there are two subfolders, EU2 and EU3. In EU2, open "EOS Utility 2.exe". Once you're sure it does what you want, you can make a separate shortcut for it.

Bob
Announcements