cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start EOS Utility greyed out mac

Florencia
Apprentice

Hi, I have a Canon EOS 20D and want to download the images to a mac (OS X 10.9.2) but the "Start EOS Utility" option is greyed out. I just downloaded this DPP version: dpp3.14.15x. Any help? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Digital Photo Professional doesn't include EOS Utility... that's a separate download.  

But there's a catch.  EOS Utility no longer supports the 20D -- the 20D is a very old camera.  This means you'd really need to use a card reader on the Mac to unload the images.  I *think* that if you put the 20D into "PTP" mode then the camera will appear to the computer as though it's a card reader (the comptuer would be able to read the images off the camera) but advanced functionality such as tethered shooting, etc. will not work.  I think the camera has to have a DIGIC III processor (or newer) and the 20D has a DIGIC II.  

So while DPP will launch EOS Utility *if* the EOS Utility is installed (separately) ... there's probably little point in installing EOS Utility since the only thing it could do is transfer files if the camera is in PTP mode... but it turns out you don't need EOS Utility just to do that much.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Perhaps an incompatablity between versions of DPP and EU and/or your camera. Later versions of EU don't support the 20D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Digital Photo Professional doesn't include EOS Utility... that's a separate download.  

But there's a catch.  EOS Utility no longer supports the 20D -- the 20D is a very old camera.  This means you'd really need to use a card reader on the Mac to unload the images.  I *think* that if you put the 20D into "PTP" mode then the camera will appear to the computer as though it's a card reader (the comptuer would be able to read the images off the camera) but advanced functionality such as tethered shooting, etc. will not work.  I think the camera has to have a DIGIC III processor (or newer) and the 20D has a DIGIC II.  

So while DPP will launch EOS Utility *if* the EOS Utility is installed (separately) ... there's probably little point in installing EOS Utility since the only thing it could do is transfer files if the camera is in PTP mode... but it turns out you don't need EOS Utility just to do that much.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you Tim! that was really helpful, I'll use a card reader then.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements