cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some jpegs won't open in DPP 4.7

Nigel555
Contributor

I have a large archive of digital photos, taken with a range of Canon cameras. However, a few of these fail to open with DPP, although they open with other software such as Irfanview and Photoshop. As far as I remember, the images were stored directly as taken and not processed in any way, and I can't see anything obviously different in the EXIF data between those that open correctly and those that do not. They were taken on an S45, and indeed I've only seen it pictures taken with this camera, although I haven't checked everything. Can anyone offer an explanation, please.

2 REPLIES 2

@Nigel555 wrote:

I have a large archive of digital photos, taken with a range of Canon cameras. However, a few of these fail to open with DPP, although they open with other software such as Irfanview and Photoshop. As far as I remember, the images were stored directly as taken and not processed in any way, and I can't see anything obviously different in the EXIF data between those that open correctly and those that do not. They were taken on an S45, and indeed I've only seen it pictures taken with this camera, although I haven't checked everything. Can anyone offer an explanation, please.

That problem has been reported in the past. I believe I had it myself. Before you do anything else, upgrade to the latest version of DPP (4.9.20?).
Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

That was a good suggestion, and I tried it, to no avail.

(As an aside, Canon could do a lot to improve the installation process. Many installation programs, if run with user privilege when they require administrator, prompt to get it; this one not merely fails to do that, but doesn't even work under a user account when run as administrator; I had to switch to an admin account to install it.)

Regards,

Nigel

Announcements